Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 1 after a massive relapse

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Anita44

Re: Day 1 after a massive relapse

Fri May 21, 2021 2:22 pm

Hi yep123 what? day 7 already that fast? How are you doing? I'm very good thanks, just been busy at work today, so have a quite break now, so I jump on here.
    0 x
    yep123

Mon May 24, 2021 8:30 am

Hi @Calvin (facilitator) and @Anita44

Day 10!! It is getting a little bit easier, however i can thinking " What if i didn't spend that money" " I would be ok"

But i keep pulling myself out of that thought pattern and tell myself " I have a job" " i have a roof" and i have food".

I really do not like all the adds about gambling and horse racing that come up on TV as well. I find myself when i am not thinking about it and then the adds come on, i start thinking negative again. Hopefully in time it will get better
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon May 24, 2021 9:04 am

Hi @yep123,

Day 10, wow! Congratulations! So happy to hear it's getting easier for you.

Good job on analysing that thought pattern without acting on it. And yes, the adds can be triggering but you've done really well in identifying them as a trigger for you.

It will definitely get better in time. The negative thinking might not disappear completely but you'll get better at overcoming it. Have you noticed if the frequency of those negative thoughts has changed throughout these 10 days?

Have you tried journaling? Journaling can help you keep track of the negative thinking so you can challenge those thoughts as you've done after a triggering moment, when you're in a more calmed state of mind.

:);
    0 x
    Anita44

Mon May 24, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi yep123 welldone day 10 for you now so fast. Thing will get better everyday, when you gonna have your holiday coming up?
    1 x
    yep123

Mon May 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Hi @Anita44 ,

I am hoping they will! One day at a time! Ups and downs of course! I am on holiday now. I went shopping today, lots of winter clothing etc! It felt great spending money on good things and not on gambling! But i did think after I wish I had the money I wasted away last week:( I even thought I should go and win some money! I am glad I didn’t! It’s a big step! How are you going?
    1 x
    Anita44

Mon May 24, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi yep123 it's nice to hear you treat yourself something nice, I'm doing pretty good thanks, I'm just work and try to paid off my bill once that all done I be good. I try not to think about pokies, but it's pop up now n than but I just have to remember that it's just not good for me, than I stop thinking about it.
    0 x
    yep123

Thu May 27, 2021 8:42 am

Hi @Anita44 and @Lovely Cat Lady

@Anita44 It is good to see your balancing it up, with self care and working towards paying bills of!
    That is something i need to learn to do more of. Life is not all about bills i guess. I got myself in a little bit of trouble with the gambling, but i still want to balance it up, with paying of the bills/ doing nice things for myself. But it is hard, i always think about " I don't deserve it" " I have to many bills". When i am in the position where i can do it, as i have a job. I always think and i am not sure if this is common " What happens if i get sick next week" " What happens if i lose my job". This is what has stopped me putting self care in place before. But i guess i have to live day by day.

@Lovely Cat Lady Thank you for all your support, it really helps with my journey with all the kind words and motivation.
    I think i am on day 13 or 14 now, i have lost count already :( . I have been going to counselling once a week as well, And it is really helping. I am not where i want to be yet, however i am putting the supports in place.
    1 x
    Anita44

Thu May 27, 2021 10:57 am

Hi yep123 how are you? I am quite lucky that I never own any credit card or else I'm in so much trouble. I treat myself little thing that not bad, but I save most of my money paid off a few big bill, little bill I can manage it's no problem, with gamble free it's save thousand dollars per week. I am so so stupid I don't how I get into pokies addition until I loose most of my saving.
    Maybe you need to talk to some financial advisers maybe they have a plan that they can put everything together and you can slowly paid off, while you still have money to treat yourself too.
    I usually buy my groceries on special and house hold products that save me alots of money thought out the years.
    Be kind to yourself, it's a big step already that we all try to quit this gamble addition I believe we can do it.
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun May 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi @yep123,

You're most welcome. It's an absolute pleasure following your journey. No need to worry, I'm keeping track of what Day you're at. :cool: Today's your Day 15! Your Day 1 was on Saturday May 15th.

I'm really glad to hear counselling is being helpful. You might not be where you want to be yet, but you're definitely stepping away from where you don't want to be everyday. And that is an achievement in itself, as well as putting in the supports in place. So good job! You're getting there one step at a time, one day at a time. :);

How is the weekend going for you?
    0 x
    yep123

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:24 am

HI @Lovely Cat Lady

How are you?

The weekend i was busy with family, back to work next week and thinking of treating myself to a facial.

Day 17! The counselling, the blocking apps and cutting up my cards was the best thing i have done so far!
    Because i do have those thoughts come in still, when i have a big bill or something i need to pay for. I think " I will just go and try and win some money". But i know now, that those urges do go away after 5 minutes when i distract myself. But if i didn't block the gambling apps or cards, i could possibly still be gambling! I then pay those bills without gambling and feel good about it.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”