Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Homeless

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Dan

Homeless

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi there my names Dan.. and for the first time ever ive snapped i never thought i could want ro end my life until now.. ive been a problem gambler since the day i turned 18 now 28 ide put my losses around 2-300k not including emotional and physical damage..list partners..friends..family..now have been made homeless as i wasnt paying my rent on time i always payed it but was a shocker for been on time ..thanks to gambling i have nothing to live for the only reason i have is my dog nala means everything to me but now ive failed her aswell..im still holding a job for now always have full time..but i think thats my down fall as i just spend what i earn ..week in week out.. ive tried councilling ive tried it all nothing helps.. some people have no idea what its like..most think im just an idiot.. but none of that matters as atm im sitting in my car with my dog deciding where to go next .. ive lost all hope im sick of living a lie.. anyways i hooe someone can read this and change there ways before its to late like me.
    0 x
    Corey1

Re: Homeless

Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:06 am

Hi dan I'm 26 in a similar situation to you my gambling is awful right now however I had a couple of months off it last year it is possible to change my mistake was having a small bet on the Melbourne cup that one bet can lead you back to the position you were in previously. Dan right now you need to limit your access to cash i have a bank acc with amp when I got the cards in the mail I added them to google pay and destroyed them so I can still use them at eftpos terminals but can't go to a atm or deposit online cause the card number isn't there or the ccv reason I chose them they don't have the instant transfer osko thing and don't have the poli deposit thing so its impossible to deposit online into betting accounts. First thing you need to do is limit access to your money ill fight my addiction along side yours mate
    0 x
    the_penguin

Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:02 pm

That's some really great advice @Corey1
    Those practical steps can really make a huge difference. I's also great to see that not only are these good ideas, but they're also steps that you've taken which have proven to work.

How are you going @Dan ? You're always welcome here for support...
    0 x
    Dan

Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:39 pm

Thankyou for that it means a lot i will do everything i can but im at the stage i just want to gice up..and now i have no where to go :(
    0 x
    the_penguin

Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Don't give up @Dan We've got your back....

Are you familiar with this website: https://askizzy.org.au/?
    It's a directory of services that might be able to help you out with accommodation, food, etc.
    I hope it will be of some use to you.
    0 x
    AGHS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:33 pm

Hi Dan, very sorry to hear about your situation, we all have hit rock bottom at some stage of our gambling journey, please don't give up though. Don't let gambling take all you have left, yourself and of course your beautiful dog. There is a lot you can do to reduce gambling harm. You may not be able to take away the urges at this point but you can block cards (contact your bank), get an app to block all gambling related feeds on your devices, bar yourself from venues, tell friends and family and keep accessing support services. As for accommodation, are any of your friends or family able to put you up until you get back on your feet???...Setting achievable goals such as saving for a bond/rent will give you a focus rather than just thinking about betting all day. Once you put some of these ideas in place, sure you will still think about gambling, but you will restrict your ability to act on it...most people on this forum have or are going through what you are experiencing...rock bottom, for some of us it was stealing $ from family, lying to gamble, selling personal items to gamble, getting into huge debt to gamble and the list goes on and on. Life will improve, you CAN stop gambling, we are proof.
    1 x
    pamela

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:29 pm

Hi Dan,I am really sorry you have reached such a low point in your life..the good part is that you can't get any lower so it's only upwards from here.
    Do you have a friend/ family member you could bunk with and/or confide in?
    Limiting your cash is a big step..can you give your card to someone ?
    Someone from work,a friend?
    I know someone who gave his card to his doctor..
    There is always a way out of these messes but it requires a lot of hard work and determination.
    Don't give up hope ..let this give you the strength to say no to gambling so you can restart your life
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”