Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Strategies to Reduce Gambling Urges

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    HelpfulBee

Strategies to Reduce Gambling Urges

Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm

Hey guys!

Lets start a list of strategies you can use when your struggling with gambling urges!

I'll get the list started:
    • Do an activity (E.g. go for a walk, play a game, do some gardening
    • Have a shower or get some fresh air
    • Call someone for support (E.g. a friend, or Gamblers Help)
    • Avoid hearing about gambling (E.g. leave that Facebook group or group chat about the odds)
    • Think about why you're having that gambling urge and meet that need (E.g. I'm feeling lonely, I'll call a friend)

Would love to hear ideas from everyone here on the forum to get a big list going, so we can go back to it when we're having a hard time! :cool:

Happy Thursday!!

- HelpfulBee
    0 x
    Damaged_Armour

Re: Strategies to Reduce Gambling Urges

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:35 pm

Going back many years I was into weight training, probably stopped when I was in my early 20s, in between then and now there's been around 5 occasions where I've joined a gym, gone for 3-4 months and then it fizzled out, getting motivated and dressed and driving there battling to find parking, then waiting around to use equipment etc.... and that was the last time it happened I promised myself I would never join another gym again. And I didnt.

What I did do though was buy a bench from eBay and a bunch of weights from big w (when they actually have them) and set up a mini gym in the garage. No travel, no getting dressed, no looking for parking, no waiting for machines, I just walk in there how ever I want, train for 20-25 mins a session and I'm done.
    2 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    sisco

Re: Strategies to Reduce Gambling Urges

Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:37 am

That's awesome @Damaged_Armour
    I love that you took all the pain out of going to the gym and made it easier for yourself!
    Sounds like the gym is a really good distraction for you as its easily accessible.
    Keep up the great work :);
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”