Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Hello, I have a rather complicated problem

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    BriM

RE: Hello, I have a rather complicated problem

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey Anna,

Good on you. I was reading this illustrated book a while ago on depression called The Black Dog (metaphor for depression - very apt) and one of the things it said was it's the times when you LEAST feel like exercising that you should MOST exercise. I try to tell myself that when I can feel myself start to talk myself out of going for a run or getting out and about. Have you tried that sort of positive self talk? it's hard, and it takes practice, but I reckon it all helps.

Bri
    0 x
    Anna

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi Bri

Do you mean that in terms of gambling? when i feel most like gambling DONT...

Well i exercised today in this damn heat 45 degrees and so i am motivated i kind of have that positive thought or goal but yeah i havent crumbled yet with exercise.

The black dog, ok i'll look it up and have a read.

I drove straight past the club so very proud of that too...
    0 x
    BriM

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 am

Hey again Anna,

Hope you had an awesome weekend. I need to take a page out of your book; good onya for going for it in the 40 degree heat! I did my neck a couple of weeks ago pretty badly and have now slackened off to the point where it seems too hard to get back on the exercise wagon. But, must be done!

Yes, I think I was talking about you trying the self-help talk with gambling. I know the urges can be pretty strong at times; I suppose maybe I was asking whether you could try telling yourself to go and exercise when you most feel like gambling, and whether this is working for you.

Driving straight past the club is certainly a pretty good indication that you're doing something right though

Hope your Monday isn't too painful !!

Bri
    0 x
    Anna

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:58 am

Hey there

Yes an injury and stopping training makes it very hard to get motivated again. Also putting on weight and anything that makes you feel sluggish makes it hard to start training again. However i guess this is where you have to convince yourself. I know this may sound strange but i had a very sore hip last week but i have this thing where i train even when injured and usually (so far) it has helped my injuries heal faster. Or maybe ive just gotten used to the pain.

Thats just me and may not work for everyone. I mean i dont want you to injure yourself further. Its just kind of a self punishment.

I do sort of use motivating words but once i start gambling i cant stop. Ive tried pulling out and leaving but i just pull out and move onto another machine.

21 days today and the urges are already less. I just have to make sure i dont go because once i start cant stop...
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”