Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Here we go again Day 1

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Mongoose

Here we go again Day 1

Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi it’s been sometime since I have been here but decided to come back to what worked for me the first time , 18 months of no gambling went down the drain and now feel like I can’t get out of this hole again only this time it’s online gambling .
    So today is day 1 and here we go again only this time hopefully I can stick it out
    Mongoose
    2 x
    Lodger

Re: Here we go again Day 1

Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:25 pm

Hi @Mongoose

Sounds like it's gotten on top of you again, but good on you for coming back. Starting back with what you already know is a good move. After all, it might be back to Day 1, but it's not Square 1.

You've already stopped before. Use that as a foundation to build on. You already know how to stop, you just haven't got all the tools to stay stopped - YET.

You might have lapsed or relapsed and it's normal to feel like a bit of a failure. But as my favourite Yoda quote goes "Failure, your greatest teacher is"

What are some other things you've done before that might be helpful? What else has worked in the past?

You already know some of the terrain you are walking here. What have you already learnt that can help you now?
    1 x
    pamela

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 am

Hi Mongoose,you did it before so you can do it again.
    Don't dwell on it as it can't be changed
    Brush yourself off and start again
    1 x
    Mongoose

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks Lodger and Pamela
    Day 2 nearly over with trying to keep busy but it has become so easy now you don’t even need to leave you house 😬
    Mongoose
    3 x
    pamela

Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:42 am

Day two..check
    Day three..stay positive
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi Mongoose! Setbacks as you know can feel quite upsetting, I'm so glad that you have gathered yourself and have made the choice to give it another go. You have all the experience and strategies to back you up so you know that you're more than capable! :)

One day at a time! We are all here to support you!

Anyone that has experience of a lapse have any words of support for Mongoose?
    1 x
    JinxyWolf

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi Mongoose,

So sorry to see you back but glad you had the courage to pick yourself up and get back on the wagon. You have shown strength and commitment by going 18 months gamble free and that strength and commitment is still within you. You just had a misstep, it happens to us all.

I myself had a total relapse back into the abyss back in the day. I too went 18 months without gambling but found that once I had achieved my goal I slowly but surely got sucked back in. I gave up on quitting. So for the next 3 years (actually just had a recount, it was actually 7 years :( ) I continued my downward spiral until I had nothing. I had a full time job and not a dime to my name, I was lying to family and friends, my life was going nowhere. Finally I decided to take my life back, found this forum, a councellor and haven't looked back.

I found setting goals was what kept me on the wagon. I started small and grew from there until I was able to afford a Renovation of my house and a new car. Something 3 years ago I would have never thought possible. Once I achieved a goal I set another. It was something to focus on, work towards.

So what's your goal?

Be well and stay strong

JinxyWolf
    2 x
    Gocats888

Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:32 pm

I can relate to your story. I have had 2 stints of 9 months and 16 months. I relapsed recently. I also have a problem with drug use and unfortunately they compound each other. I am feeling really low at the moment, but the one thing I do know is that this feeling is temporary.

I’ve learnt that I am a master manipulator when it comes to finding loopholes to access money. I have only learnt this through my relapses in gambling and drug use. I am back to day 1 for both, so I have focussed my energy on training for a marathon in October next year.

I guess I’m leaving this message because I can relate to how you feel. I’m really down today, but I’m not as low as 16 months ago. Use your relapses as field trips where they are a learning experience and keep looking forward. It gives me hope in a very pessimistic time.

Best of luck
    3 x

Return to “Change Makers”