Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 4 and I’m struggling

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Bianca101

Day 4 and I’m struggling

Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi All,

I’ve been gambling my pay check every fortnite for the last 2 years.
    Also created around 15k debt.
    I’m hoping you guys can share tips on how to keep going and stay away.
    I feel smoking has a lot to do with the urge of wanting to go and play the machines.
    This is day 4 and I really want to go and buy a packet a smokes and gamble money I don’t have.
    Please help !!
    1 x
    AGHS

Re: Day 4 and I’m struggling

Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Hey Bianca101, struggling is part of the process of addressing gambling harm. Have you considered self barring, it is a fairly simple process and it takes away that urgency that you feel to gamble. Addressing gambling harm can be hard but the end result is worth it, you need to want to make change, it just doesn't happen. I wouldn't worry too much about the smoking at the moment, perhaps just focus on your gambling and reducing the impact it is having on you. Have you disclosed to any close family or friends? Being open and honest will help you to build a support network around you, trust me, it helps a lot and it takes that burden off your shoulders, especially if you are hiding your gambling from people close to you. Planning your week, writing down how you will manage urges, how you will pay off your debt, what are your triggers to gamble and how to avoid the triggers, addressing all of these and other things that lead you to gamble will at least give you a sense of a plan of action, what you will do and how you will do it to reduce the impact of gambling harm. Meditation is also an excellent method to help with anxiety related to gambling, there are numerous excellent online tutorials to assist you to learn how to meditate, it will take time to master the skill but is well worth the effort. Remember, only one day at a time.............it can be overwhelming when you look to far ahead and may set yourself up to fail and not able to achieve the small steps you need to take everyday to reach your goal of abstaining from gambling.
    2 x
    pamela

Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:58 am

Hi Bianca 101,well done on getting to 4 days.
    Beating any addiction is tough but the fight is worth it.
    Fighting the urge is tough but I found counting backwards from 300 helped me..it sounds strange,but it worked.
    Also try focusing on 5 things you can see ,hear and touch..that reduces the urge and grounds you.
    Have you considered confiding in someone and asking for help?
    It sounds hard but you might be surprised at the response.
    Try banning yourself,get rid of all your cards..dont carry money with you..
    Come here often for help and inspiration
    Good luck.
    Remember..I won't gamble today
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Hello @Bianca101 Just wondering how things have been going for you?
    1 x
    Bianca101

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Not going so good to be honest, went back and lost another $1000 over a few days. Another k to add to my debt.
    I am determined to beat this habit/addiction and have decided to tell my partner the truth and ask him to help me. I am going to hand him my bank card so I dont have access to any cash.
    I expect him to be angry but hopefully once he knows the whole truth we can put a plan in place so I/we can be where we were at a couple of years ago.
    Gambling took away so much from me, not only money but precious time. I feel like a loser and have to fix this.
    I am lucky and grateful that I have a good job and if I stay away from pokies I will be able to pay all my debt in 8 months.
    0 x
    pamela

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi Bianca 101
    Sorry you had a setback,but it is sensible to ask your partner to help.
    Sure,he might be angry,for awhile,but also he will appreciate your honesty and your willingness to stop gambling.
    It is a Ferris wheel that never seems to stop,but it does and you can get off and walkaway
    1 x
    Bianca101

Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks Pamela.
    I’m just going to take one day at a time.
    I haven’t told him yet but I am staying away from the pub.
    The big test will be next week when I get paid.
    0 x
    pamela

Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Yes payday is the hardest day..but ..be strong and don't think about it..the more you think about the day the more your urge will surface...just take each day as it comes,don't think too far ahead.
    Be strong,and by saying no,,you ARE the winner
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”