Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New Here

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Michael92

New Here

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi all,

I have a problem. I have always been involved with gambling but it has really taken over. Through the Covid period, I was bored and would gamble everyday because I was not working.
    I went through a very rough breakup during Covid and turned to gambling as it took my mind off what I was going through. I accessed my super and lost it. I went back to work and found that I wasn't gambling as much until recently.

I have always suffered from depression and turned to gambling and alcohol yesterday. I lost every single cent to my name. I woke up today feeling embarrassed and regretting what I have done. I'm not sure how I am going to get by financially and I am here for some support because I feel ashamed telling my friends or family of my situation.

Mike
    2 x
    pamela

Re: New Here

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi Michael and welcome
    Good on you for admitting to having a problem and for coming here to ask for help.
    Have you signed up for the 100 day programme,as I found that really beneficial.
    You might feel embarrassed about telling a friend or family member,but you might be surprised if you can confide in someone how supportive they might be.
    You can do this,you can't change your past but you can shape your future
    Good luck
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi @Michael92

Welcome to the forums! Good on you for reaching out for some support! I understand that Covid and its restrictions that have come from it, have been a major challenge for many.
    Some people do find themselves developing habits such as gambling/drinking especially when times are tough or they feel their depressive feelings have increased.
    Try to think of other ways to look after yourself especially during those times where you may feel yourself struggling the most.
    As Pamela mentioned, it can be good to have a look at the 100 day challenge app as a headstart.

Anyone else have any useful tips for Michael during this time?
    0 x
    User 5b23811d1360e

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi Michael,
    Super effort writing to us and explaining your situation. I recently wrote in, yesterday actually. I have fallen into a deep hole and I also have committed the actions you speak of.
    Its the worst feeling i know. I felt like a complete failure at work all day today.
    I have started the 100 day challenge and so far it has allowed me to reach out to others going through the same thing. Get if off ya chest, let it all out because we need to move forward together. I hope you log in again and say hello, let us know how ya going, your one of many going through the same thing, we can get on top of this.
    Cheers user 5B

P.s im trying to change my bloody username!
    1 x
    pricey1981

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:17 am

Hi Michael

Don't feel ashamed of embarrassed mate, your family and friends will be there for you. The best thing i have done is seek help, open up to friends and join this forum.
    Just dont dwell on what's happened, look fwd and set goals and take it a day at a time.
    Always reach out mate, best thing you can do!
    1 x
    Michael92

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 am

Thank you for all the kind words and support. I haven't gambled since Sunday. Monday was a hard day and now I have accepted what has happened. While I had a bad day on Monday, my friends and colleagues really got around me and helped me out financially which I did not expect. It meant the world to me. I think it has taken me to do this to realise the way forward. I have started the 100 day challenge.
    I am a little nervous around the Melbourne cup coming up as I have plans with friends to go out. Any tips would be appreciated. I know that I still want to have a good day and I know I have been out and not gambled in the past but any help would be much appreciated.

Mike
    1 x
    pamela

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:43 am

Hi Mike
    Well done on getting this far
    I can understand the dilemma you face on Melbourne Cup Day,perhaps you can give your money/card to one of your friends and get them to buy your drinks etc,so you can't bet if tempted
    Just keep thinking how much better you are without gambling
    Keep up the great work
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Hey @Michael92 Just checking in to see how has the past month been like for you? Been a while since we last heard from you :)
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”