Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Post lockdown set back

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Liz83

Re: Post lockdown set back

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.
    For me spare time is not the issue. I have three young children (4, 6 and 8 months old) and work part time so barely get time to myself but when I do get a small break I find it very hard to do something positive for myself instead of gambling. There are a lot of things I know I would enjoy doing but the lure of pokies at the moment is so strong.
    In 2 hours I managed to nearly completely deplete what I saved in the last 6 months (which Thankfully wasn’t a huge amount considering I was on maternity leave and working part time) but now I feel like I’m desperate to chase back the loss.
    Last night I talked to my husband about it which I know is the first step to making this right again instead of falling into a deep dark spiral again.
    I’m very lucky to have such a supportive man in my life. I will give him the cards and limit my access to cash which I know is the only way for me to really limit it.
    I just feel so angry that it was this great feeling of freedom while they were closed. Like its very unfair we have to live somewhere where they are just everywhere!!!
    2 x
    pamela

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:04 am

Well done on talking to your husband and asking for his help.
    I understand with 3 small children how you look forward to time for yourself,but there are other things you can do,,eg the movies
    Certainly limiting you cash and not carrying cards is a good start.
    And yes they are everywhere .
    Its like everything I suppose,making a choice ,
    For example ,I see McDonald's everywhere I go,but I choose not to have it,
    It really is about changing up our habits.
    Its tough.its frustrating,.its hard,but can be done
    You are heading in the right direction so be strong and say no to gambling today
    You can do this
    2 x
    Liz83

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:37 pm

I think McDonalds is very different to gambling.
    Not an addiction.
    Do you think that gambling is not an addiction?
    I have struggled with it for nearly 20 years and I find it very very different to just resisting temptations and having self control.
    1 x
    pamela

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 pm

I was using McDonald's as an example,and no I don't think Maccas is an addiction.
    I gambled for 18 years,I know how hard it is to stop,it was pure torment driving past my favourite venues,so, I went different ways to and from work.
    Sure they are tempting..but the fun doesn't last.
    As hard as it is,you can do it
    Believe in yourself ,
    1 x
    Mona58

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:09 am

Hi Liz.

Maybe you could look into "dopamine" = the pleasure receptor of the brain.

Another example may be right in front of you = your children. Notice how "excited" they are about something that gives them ''pleasure" .. they ask for the same thing again and again --. can even be -Maccas chicken nuggets (my grandson went through this one) Ipads, games, toys, blankets the list goes on. ' How long do they cry...throw tantrums when they are depraved of anything that gives "pleasure" Is up to us as parents. We either give in... or replace the "addiction" with something healthier. This IS what We need to do to ourselves... get through our tantrums without giving in to them.

Mona (2 years 8 months gamble free)
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Under the rug

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:22 pm

I have struggled big time since they have been open again, first night they were back open I was there. In the last 4 weeks I would say I’ve lost over 5000. Could be more. I’ve lost all self control and I don’t know what other options there are for me. There would be nights where I’d be dissapointed apt losing 250-300 at a time. It’s 1000 trip every time now. It’s numbing and at that point you just lose all respect for money

I’m sick and tired of this recurring vicious cycle and just wish it never started from the beginning. I know I have a choice. I can say no. But my mind just won’t let me

I really don’t know what else to do. I’ve lost all intrest in the hobby’s I used to do. I don’t have many friends, I don’t have a girlfriend. I have struggled with depression and anxiety for a number of years also.The reason I do play is to kill time and kill boredom.

I need suggestions..
    0 x
    Mona58

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:47 am

Hi "under the rug"

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/ka-ching-pokie-nation

https://m.facebook.com/kachingfilm/

l posted these in another tread but thought I'd put them here also because it does take time to find the way through the many treads on the forum.

it helps to read and re read our own posts and pick at our own words. You said "your mind won't let you" stop. And I thought those links will help UNDERSTAND why.

We are in precarious times right now but finding NEW things to do help. Don't be too hard on yourself ' I know it is easier said than done but recovery is a slow process. We see the "outside" of people and "envy" their "stable life" But do we really know what they are going through any more than they can see our inner turmoil? what we see in others is ourselves. Life ... living ... is all '"work in progress". It never really stops! Go for walks .--put music on dance like no One can see you... Laugh at and wlth yourself. Cook new stuff. Join a "charity group Help others to help yourself.

All the best on your journey! stay strong! You had strength and power to post draw from this!

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius

Return to “Change Makers”