Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Don’t know what to do. Feel sick.

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Cozz

Don’t know what to do. Feel sick.

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:22 pm

I’m at the end of my tether and honestly don’t know what to do. I feel sick and hopeless.
    Since the pubs have closed down, I’ve been out of control gambling online. I’ve literally ploughed through thousands and I feel sick. I don’t know what to do. Every weekend I say to myself “this weekend no gambling!”. And every weekend I crumble throwing my hard earned money down the drain.
    I’ve banned myself from so many sites but I ALWAYS end up finding another. I’ve thought about installing a gambling block on my phone but know I have access to 3 laptops and 2 mobile phones.
    Is there a way out of this??? I honestly don’t know what to do. Please help me 😢
    2 x
    Chad20

Re: Don’t know what to do. Feel sick.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:53 am

I only signed up to this last night. I don’t have the answer hence why I’m a high gambler too. All I can say is the **** you going through, doing and how you’re feeling, I am the same.

Every pay, I say the same things to myself as you do and then lose all my pay. No matter how much I block myself, like you, I always find a way.

I chatted via online chat last night. I took away from it instead of focusing on just not gambling- which I really bloody want to stop, divert my attention of wanting the buzz and rush of excitement and chase of a big win, I need to fill my time by putting my energy in to something else. So I downloaded their 100 day challenge app, today is day 2, day 11 will be the real test as that’s when I get paid, good luck I hope something works for you.

It’s so **** I’m guessing you feel like me and that gambling has a hold of us but we gotta start somewhere in trying to break the habit I guess
    3 x
    Cozz

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:26 pm

Chad, thank you so much for replying.

You’re right I’m in the exact same boat. I’m going to find and download the app👍
    2 x
    Chad20

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Good thing is we both starting this at the same time. So let’s try and stick it out together and do this 100 days and break this once and for all. I’m not really an individual player, I play sport in teams, so let’s see what we can do mate. Good luck!
    2 x
    Chad20

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:05 pm

@Cozz @Tassie Tiger

I feel for you, I can hear the tone of
    Your post and how stressed and frantic you are about stuffing up and gambling again. Wouldn’t it be easy if we could just flick a switch or be like the other people in our lives that are responsible with money or can gamble for fun and within their means. Easier said than done.

What I’m learning from this forum and other people’s stories is not to beat myself up over my addiction. As bad as it is others suffer at least I know I’m not alone and what I am going through is normal with an addiction.

What is really comforting me is that there is hope, people do over come it and I can’t wait to beat it so financially I am better off and secondly not being a recluse living this double life I put so much effort, time and stress in to hiding and covering my tracks. I hate the addiction and I hate the lies and deceit that comes with it. That’s my motivation. The behaviors I have due to gambling do not align with my values and morals as someone with integrity, honesty, kindness and respect.

I want to beat this addiction so I don’t cause any undue stress or worry to my partner or loved ones that they have to worry about me going out or having money. 1 day at a time Tassie Tiger, today is a new day and I was concerned about my next pay cheque coming in but now I’m looking forward to it to prove to myself I can stay determined and focused on smashing this 100 day challenge and beyond!
    3 x
    gzy3

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi @Chad20 @Tassie Tiger @Cozz
    Welcome to this forum!
    I am one of the moderators here.

It is great that all are understanding and supporting each other on this thread.
    As @Chad20 mentioned, it is important to reward yourself at times as it is not easy to beat a gambling problem.
    Acknowledge your small achievement and remember one at a time.
    Try not to repeat negative self-talk even if you slip up. You can always start to build on where you are now.

@Cozz there is a 24/7 chat service on gambling help online as Chad20 found it helpful.
    Also you can speak to a counsellor on 1800 858 858 (Gamber's Help). They will be able to refer you to one-on-one counselling services at your local area if you prefer seeing a same counsellor. It is all free to access.
    Don't hesitate to reach out.

Keep up updated!
    3 x
    Tassie Tiger

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:36 pm

i @Chad20 @Cozz,
    I'm feeling the same shame and hopelessness. Had a relapse again and lost again at the online pokies last night.
    It makes me sick. I just can't stop and tried already so many times. I signed up here month ago and tried the challenge.
    I also tried the 100 day challenge app. It helps to read the stories of others but
    I didn't manage to go beyond 28 days without gambling yet. Contacted my bank to see if they can block my card for
    online gambling transactions. ANZ doesn't support this unfortunately. I used the chat on this site which is really great but
    considering now to go to a meeting or a professional for help.
    I hope that after I do those steps and will be gambling free for a while that I can find the courage to talk to my girlfriend about
    my addiction. I think that would be the real change and help me to overcome the addiction. I just feel too ashamed at the moment
    having lost all this money. DAY 1... Let's do this ...
    3 x
    pamela

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:42 pm

As bleak as your life may be now,it can get better.
    Stopping gambling is hard work but like all hard work it reaps rewards
    If you relapse,so be it,just be more determined .
    Try counselling, it does help,
    I like to say I am unencumbered by the chains of gambling..and you can be too.Come here often,read our stories and make the right choices in life
    Good luck and don't give up
    4 x
    ABeatenMan

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:09 pm

As someone who has been gambling for 34 years i know your pain. However you can beat this. I am now 104 days gamble free and god willing i will make 105 days tomorrow. I never thought i could beat the addiction, but i can tell you, it gets easier.

The thing that has helped me most though is to take temptation away. Its a pain but i do not carry cash around, and cannot take cash out on my card, If mobile apps are a problem, do whatever it takes to remove that temptation. leave your phone at home or with a friend if that what needs to happen

This comes down to how much do you want this. If you are prepared to do the hard yards, YOU CAN BEAT IT

A
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:52 am

Great advice there ! :)
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”