AnonymousGA1 wrote: ↑
Mon May 25, 2020 1:20 am
I originally posted on this site when I was unable to control my gambling addiction, essentially for those too lazy to see my original post, I was 18, still in school when we had a guest speaker, a gambling addict, come in and tell all of us about the dangers of gambling, as a bit of a joke between me and my mates, I went home opened up a betting account (dumbest decision i'd ever made) and slapped $10 into the site, I won, of course, and from there it progresses $10 became $20, $20 became $50 and so on, all the way up-to thousands of dollars. The realisation that I had a problem was when I put a $10,000 bet down at the age of 19 and received a call from an employee within the betting site asking me questions like where I got my money, how I was able to fund that sort of a bet at that age without being in massive financial hardships, and while the $10,000 bet got up (lousy $1.20 odds) I freaked out. Not only about the call from the employee within the betting agency, although my heart felt as though it was beating out of my chest and I could barely breathe from the moment my bet was accepted, I was furious with myself.
My original post on this site was one of desperation, it was some 2 years ago, and looking back to the person I was then, I feel as though i've changed a great deal, while I still sometimes gamble (COVID-19 hasn't helped!) I'm still wondering why I still do it. Since my last post i've probably lost somewhere in the range of $5,000-$10,000 which is horrific, although it's definite improvement, as in my first year of gambling i'd lost around $30,000, the problem is most of my friends gamble, I went away with them recently and we had the greyhounds/horse racing on the TV 24/7 while we went about looking around the city, and going to the beach, it was definitely unhealthy for me and resulting in me losing somewhere between $500-$1000 that week alone.
While i'm still trying to curb back my addiction, i've made definite inroads, and if someone who's in their late teens/early 20's is reading this and genuinely want's to change I have a few tips that have worked for me (feel free to leave other suggestions in the comments for me also that might help!).
1. Put your savings/disposable money that you don't need in a term deposit
You can elect to lock your money away for 5 years in some cases, I normally do this for every pay check I receive, I store 10% of my paycheck in my spending account which i know is for neccessities and lock away the rest (90%), it's smart because I know that hopefully in 5 years i'll be a lot smarter with my money, and if i'm not then i'll just lock it away for another 5 years (it also earns a little bit extra in interest which is a handy bonus!)
2. Don't get a credit card (til you actually need it!)
It has legitimately never crossed my mind to get one, but one way you can somewhat restrict your spending is by spending money you DO have instead of money you DON'T have on a credit card, i'm fortunate that the bills I have to pay are minimal so I can get away with this (although I see why older user's need credit cards obviously) so this one's definitely for the younger users.
3. Get a debit/savings card through a bank that places restrictions on gambling
NAB are the bank I use, due to the sheer nature that you can click a button which mostly locks you out of all gambling vendors, the moment you try to make a transaction through an online betting site or something similar NAB instantly reject it, there are obviously many ways around this, so you must ensure that you either solely use NAB or use method #1 with this, so you only have a very small amount of money, and don't lose thousands gambling.
For this just Google : Block gambling transactions on your cards
Hopefully these tips help you, I obviously still have a problem, but things are looking better, leave suggestions in the comments for more things I could do to help, thanks for taking the time out of your day to read my story!