Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Can it be lower?

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    A new start

Can it be lower?

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:39 pm

I have gone so low, I was doing pretty good last year, but completely fell of the wagon. I don’t think I have been this bad. I gambled more money than I should in to little time. Pressing buttons on the pokies I have wasted so much time and money. I am mainly chasing my losses. I know how wrong it is but after loosing I am in the stuff it face, thinking it’s bad, can’t get much worse. I really have to stop, before I gamble my life savings away.

I am 36years old and an gambling addict. (Pokies)

I’m literally feeling flat all the time. During the last week my relationship broke down, it’s been bad for a while, gambling wasn’t on the table as I haven’t told anyone to this day, even though it’s has been pretty bad over the years. But I am sure what the gambling has done to me mentally had a big impact.

I just really want to stop, but feel I am constantly falling into the trap. How can I get a better relationship with money? I am so stingy when it comes to everyday expenses, always look for the best bargain, can save up a bunch and than go on a binch to gamble it all away. 100s and when it’s bad even a grant. What the ***** (excuse my French) has happened to me? How can you stop? I really want to as I can feel my mental health deteriorating slowly.

Today will be day one, once again as so many times before. These stupid machines will not bring me down! Thanks for everyone for sharing their stories.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Can it be lower?

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:21 pm

I replied to your previous post you made a couple hours ago in the seperate topic.
    You might find a documentary useful to help provide some knowledge on the psychology behind the machines and how they influence people to continue playing etc. Its called 'KA-CHING' you can do a google search of it or possibly find it on youtube!
    Sometimes knowledge is power. It can unveil the curtain and reveal the nasty work of the machines.
    1 x
    A new start

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi Calvine
    Thank you for your reply. Yes I have watched the documentary, only last week. And almost funny that I have been sitting in front of the machines and notice what they are doing to me and how they are manipulating. I guess I really needed the confirmation to sit in front of them and to see what they are doing and how they are making you see the possible big win.
    The one that only comes rarely. I hate how greedy they make me, thinking I have not enough. One of my triggers, thinking I need more, more $$$. But if I wouldn’t pump it in the slots I would have more than enough. Vicious cycle as we all know.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:41 am

Well the positive is that you have become aware of how they manipulate. So would be the next steps now do you think?
    0 x
    A new start

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:42 pm

@Calvin (facilitator)

Yes certainly aware, how they do it. But of course my mind place tricks on me about the win.
    Strategies I put in place now is to remind myself lots when I think about gambling how devastated I feel when I loose and how stingy I get to make up for losses.
    I leave bank cards at home and only take little cash.
    I concentrate on myself more, be aware that I am happy with my own company when I feel I have to much time on my hand.
    I come to the forums and read, and post, remind myself how for I have come and where I want to be.
    Lots of self development really.

I am posting on the other threat too about the 100 day challenge, and will continue there as I feel I am repeating myself, lol.

Going into day 7 today and looking forward to a lot more.
    3 x
    pamela

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Keep going..you can do this ..just stay strong
    0 x
    unitjohnson

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:40 pm

I've been a terrible addict for over 5 years now, and gone through many stages of promising myself to never go, to reducing my amount etc, only to relapse again and again. All I can really say is, try to understand that gambling gives great wins sometimes (there's no point pretending they don't happen), BUT, gambling regularly is ALWAYS designed to make you lose. You can't ride the winning wave every time. And when you do lose, all you do is keep going, chasing your losses, til you lose more and more. So, knowing that, we all have to be stupid to make a habit out of continuing to go. And if you can't control yourself by going once a month, then it needs to stop entirely. Just remember to think logically about it. The wins entice us to keep going, as do the losses. Because it makes us want to win it back. So it's a lose-lose situation. Also remember how good it feels to keep your entire paycheck each week, and know that no one has control over it but you. By not gambling, you win every week.
    2 x
    pamela

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm

Gambling is a lose lose situation..we all know it..but that promise of a big win lure us back in..thats what they are designed to do.
    Stopping is the same as playing...you make a conscious decision to go and gamble..so you have to make the same decision to stop..and when you do ..stick by it..its hard ,of course it is..but the benefits are huge.
    Life was not meant to be sitting in front of a poker machine..or what ever way you gamble,so free yourself and live life
    3 x
    Realme

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:04 am

Now that gaming places have shut down, it should be a lot easier for all of us to win the good fight :D
    1 x
    A new start

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Yes it’s most certainly the biggest self exclusion that has happened. Take it as a helping hand and take this time to work out our triggers and reasons for gambling. By they time everything reopens we’ll all be so much stronger.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”