Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • I hate gambling, but i cant stop

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Bingo97

I hate gambling, but i cant stop

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:04 pm

It's a viscous cycle and Im sure most of you can relate. I've lost over 20k, a lot of which I had saved over the few years I worked tirelessly. Hard earned money gone down the drain. Last month I had a big win, I was up 3k. Decided I would keep it and not spend it on gambling. I managed to purchased quite a few items. 3 weeks later, Im selling half the things I bought to fuel my gambling habits. 100$ bets on TAB. Reckless betting.

Most recently, I sold something which gave me 500$. I was soon on TAB betting away. 5 mins later, Ive got 100$ left. I slap it on a horse, 15-0 odds. I WIN. I tell myself this is the last time I gamble and I will keep it. Im at 1500$. I feel like Ive been given a second chance. I feel alive. Im happy. Later that night its all gone. Ive done it once again. Chased my losses, dug myself a hole, Given a second change and blown it all. I want this cycle to stop. I hate gambling and I wish I never started gambling. It all started with a cheeky 5$ bet. Now im 24, 0 savings, small credit card debt and nothing to show for my years of work.

lately ive noticed my mood is very bipolar. if i have money, i wil gamble it all away until ihave nothing left. if i win, im happy. if i lose, imdepressed and angry.

thanks for reading
    3 x
    pamela

Re: I hate gambling, but i cant stop

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi and welcome..you can beat this habit with hard work..if you are determined to make changes you will.it is very hard to break the gambling cycle but you can do it.
    Is there anyone you can confide in that would be able to help you?
    Be strong
    2 x
    Bingo97

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:43 pm

sort of too ashamed to let anyone know. few of my mates know.
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:01 pm

Then tell one of the ones that knows.. no shame in this..the only shame is if you let it ruin your life
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi @Bingo97
    Welcome to the forums!
    What you're describing is a very similar pattern to which a lot of gamblers find themselves in, it becomes destructive to ourselves and to our everyday lives.
    Theres always still a chance of turning this around, it can be difficult just like breaking any other habit but with the right strategies in place and support it is highly possible.
    You've already taken the first step of getting in contact, what are you prepared to do next?
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”