Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Embrace your past

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Zaromerkand

Embrace your past

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing great with your recoveries. I guess I have been trying to forget my past gambling life and put it behind once and for all. However, I realised that it will never leave you, it forms a part of who you are and what you have been through. I try not to think about my past as a compulsive gambler but i can't. And once I was watching an interview of Tyson Fury talking about his personal struggles with mental health. He said just like the lyric of "Hotel California" by the Eagles which is "you can check out anytime, but you will never leave". I guess it does applies to me. You will never forget your past or deny who you are. There will be days you will feeling great and there will be days the thought of gambling past will pop up in your head. I guess I have to embrace your past, use it as a tool to improve myself every single day. How do you cope with your past, do you try to completely forget about it or do you still use it as some sort of tools to try to improve yourself?

On the side note, i was at the gym today and seeing some sort of a date tattoo on this guy arm. obviously it means something to him. It makes me think of an idea of getting one. I guess it backs to the previous point I made. You want that to be part of who you are, embrace it and use it as motivation for a better future. What are your opinions on this? Have any of you have any sort of tattoo like this? I want to get it in my back or the back of the arm so it signifies the idea of the past is now behind you but you are still carry it as a tool of motivation.

Cheers guys
    2 x
    pamela

Re: Embrace your past

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi..you make some very valid points.I think my past has shaped who I am today.
    I can't erase it.but it keeps me from going down that path again
    I am going to get a tattoo soon..there are a few of us..and we are getting letters F.T.P (F$$$ the Pokies)for us it is a reminder of what was and what is
    It's not for everyone ,but what feels right for you
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Embrace your past

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi @Zaromerkand

Theres a helpful quote that I think you might like :

"Accept what is,
    let go of what was,
    And have faith in what shall be"

This can be something to keep close to you in times when you feel the past creeping in.
    Whether someone is tackling a gambling issue or not, everyone has a past that they wish they can erase. If we all had the ability to do this then everyone will be happy all the time which is not the most realistic picture.
    Accept that your past is a part of your own personal experiences and your story and its what brought you here today and at the present time you have the power to change paths onto the one that best suits you.
    Think of ways to look after yourself on those particularly hard days, think of activities you can do to help keep your mind busy. Practice acceptance, kindness and forgiveness with yourself throughout these times.
    We're all here for you on the forums when times feel rough
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”