Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Gambled Again!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    HarryVic

Gambled Again!

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Hello everyone.
    I stopped gambling for about 2 months and I was so happy with my progress, but unfortunately I went to the venue last night and ended up loosing $700 on pokies in less than 20 minutes!
    I am uncertain what was in mind and why I gambled last night!
    I am feeling depressed now and I am worried about starting gambling again!
    If you have any suggestions for me please share with me here.
    Thank you very much.
    2 x
    Mona58

Re: Gambled Again!

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi Harry

Well done on 2 months.

Only suggestion is stay strong and don't go back. Find other things to occupy your mind. Read posts ... read a book?

All the best on your journey.

Mona
    2 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    pamela

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:35 pm

Don't focus on what happened..focus on the future.you went 2 months gamble free..you can do it again..dust yourself off and start again..learn from this set back..and take a step forward
    2 x
    doug

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:03 am

Hi
    Don't over think it,just keep trying. Trying is a success in itself.
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:11 pm

How are things going for you @HarryVic?
    0 x
    HarryVic

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Calvin (facilitator) wrote:
    Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:11 pm
    How are things going for you @HarryVic?
    So far so good!
    I haven’t gambled in about 2 weeks.
    I am trying my best to stop it permanently.
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:53 am

Welldone @HarryVic !

What strategies have you put in place? Whats working for you?
    0 x
    unitjohnson

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:56 pm

I know how you feel. I've been in that situation MANY times. Well except for going two months without gambling. Much less. So well done on that. I know saying that gambling is bad and you generally lose, isn't enough to keep us away. So what I will tell you is.. find pleasure in knowing that although quitting means you can't win (and yes those wins are very enticing), you also don't lose. And mathematically speaking, not losing is really WINNING in the long run. To keep a habit that's proven to take your money in the long run is just idiotic. Addicts think of their problem as individual visits to gambling venues, rather than a regular habit of it. So they only frown upon their losing visits. Not the winning ones. But you have to start frowning upon the habit in general. Because as long as you keep going, you will never win. You'll just lose. Maybe at a slower rate than some addicts, because you may have a lucky streak every now and then. But it's still a proven losing habit to have. I had a great lucky streak last week. I won hundreds a few times. Sometimes I walked away with a lot of money and I was proud of myself. The other times I kept going til it was all gone. Each time I won, I did stuff with it, gave some to someone to hold for me. But I could have had so much more! I'm talking like hundreds more. But I didn't know when to stop, even though I REALLY should have learned my lesson after winning, losing, winning it back, but then kept going. I feel so stupid. Any sane person would have walked away with some money. So yes although you get good wins, it simply isn't worth it to keep up this bad habit.
    2 x
    HarryVic

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Calvin (facilitator) wrote:
    Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:53 am
    Welldone @HarryVic !

What strategies have you put in place? Whats working for you?
    It might sound a bit strange but I have written a note about how gambling affected my life! every morning when I wake up I have a look at it and then that makes me feel motivated to stop gambling.
    2 x
    pamela

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:20 pm

That's a really good idea....I find that is the best motivation as you don't ever want to feel like that again..also journal how good you feel 😃
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”