Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Delete

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: How to get over the anger and regret?

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi Bluetack,unfortunately I don't know of any books but, if you seek out a counsellor that might be able to recommend some.
    Usually the gambling is a by-product of deeper issues.
    If you can address them,stopping gambling gets easier.
    Don't give up the good fight
    1 x
    Bluetack2

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 pm

God I feel so ashamed, numb and depressed. I am embarrassed that you all give me such great and heartfelt advice and I continue in my destructive ways, only to come here and seek more support. I am sorry, I hope I don’t come across as selfish. I am just stupid and in the throes of this sick addiction.

So as you may have guessed by the tone of this post, I couldn’t even last two days without staying off the punt. Once again, I have lost everything for about the fifth time this year. Another $10,000 gone in a matter of hours. I don’t know what I was expecting when I started gambling. I managed to find what I hope is the last bookmaker I hadn’t been excluded from.

Once again I find myself with nothing to my name and it really hurts being Christmas time. I’ve let my family down and I’ve ruined my own holidays. I’ll have to miss out on plenty of social events and it’s my fault.

The pain of losing so much money is tearing me apart as usual, but this time I am determined to take action. Right now I am going to look for every bookmaker online and if I find any that I haven’t signed up with previously I will ban myself from them.

I am going to create a new bank account which doesn’t do instant transfers. At least this way if I want to move money from my savings I will have to wait a day or two, and in that time hopefully any gambling urges will have washed away.

I am going to do a six-week phone counselling course and I’m looking into seeing a gambling counsellor face to face again.

And to get back some of what I lost, in the new year I am going to give up drinking. I figure that if I can really tighten my belt and spend minimal money on going out to the pub (I can still go but just drink water or soft drink), then hopefully my savings will shoot up and I will get healthier too.

In 2021 I will do my best not to gamble. That’s my resolution. 2020 was terrible for many people and for me it was the year that gambling fully consumed me if it hadn’t already. The constant mood swings, chasing losses, waiting for money to be sent to me from bookmakers, inevitably giving back that money and then some in a few weeks... I don’t want to live with that stress anymore. And I don’t want to stress my family.

The next time I post in here will be positive. It will be about the progress I’ve made and things I’ve learned.
    0 x
    pamela

Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:21 am

Good on you Bluetack for taking positive steps.Gambling is a disease,its soul destroying.
    I can only dream of having $10000,cant imagine what that would be like to lose
    But,you know the damage you have done,how you are feeling,and only you can fix it.
    Start again..be determined and think about who you are hurting
    Stay strong,you can do this
    1 x
    Bluetack2

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:03 pm

pamela wrote:
    Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:21 am
    Good on you Bluetack for taking positive steps.Gambling is a disease,its soul destroying.
    I can only dream of having $10000,cant imagine what that would be like to lose
    But,you know the damage you have done,how you are feeling,and only you can fix it.
    Start again..be determined and think about who you are hurting
    Stay strong,you can do this
    Thanks Pamela
    1 x
    Bluetack2

Re: Blacktack’s journey

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Day 1 of my journey - for real this time! - done and dusted. I feel a bit better with a few days having passed since I did the damage. Maybe I needed to hit rock bottom to really change for the better. I’ll be saving more money in the long-term by stopping full-stop now.

Today I set up a new savings bank account that isn’t linked to a debit card and takes three days to transfer to other accounts. I’m hopeful that if an urge does strike that having this barrier to accessing my funds will make me come to my senses instead of gambling emotionally.

I’ve also invested in some health products and I’ll be starting a diet tomorrow. I’m aiming to get fit while my finances repair themselves in the background.

99 days to go!
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:39 am

Good job..keep positive,don't think too far ahead and take it one gamble free day at a time
    You can be the winner
    2 x
    pricey1981

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:34 pm

Bets of luck Blacktack
    You got this!
    0 x
    pricey1981

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Bluetack2 wrote:
    Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks so much for your message mate. I was too thick-headed to heed your advice when you first wrote it. Hopefully this time it sinks in for me. All the best with your situation, hope everything is going well
    Mate the amount of times i didnt take advice from family/friends lol.
    Mate honestly im struggling at the moment, there are days i want to bet but i dont. Its more how im feeling currently coming up to xmas and no longer being with my wife its quite tough but i just gotta get through this month and go again
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:18 pm

Hey Pricey,it can be a tough time of year and its easy to fall back into gambling habits.
    But ,as hard as it is now.it gets better.
    You can message/ ring if you need support,any time
    0 x
    Bluetack2

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:58 pm

pricey1981 wrote:
    Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:37 pm
    Bluetack2 wrote:
    Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks so much for your message mate. I was too thick-headed to heed your advice when you first wrote it. Hopefully this time it sinks in for me. All the best with your situation, hope everything is going well
    Mate the amount of times i didnt take advice from family/friends lol.
    Mate honestly im struggling at the moment, there are days i want to bet but i dont. Its more how im feeling currently coming up to xmas and no longer being with my wife its quite tough but i just gotta get through this month and go again
    Your strength is inspiring mate!! Really sorry to hear you’re feeling that way but no doubt you’ll come out on top. Best wishes
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”