Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Delete

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: How to get over the anger and regret?

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:16 am

I guess you know the harm you are doing by gambling..wins aside..its the stress of it all
    If you want to be recreational punter that is your choice,however you will continue this merrygoround of emotions
    You can actually sport/racing better when you aren't dependent on the result.
    If you are serious about stopping you have done the right thing by blocking your bookies,don't look for new ones
    Ask your family to help you,
    Decide what is important to you,
    When you choose to stop,take one day at a time and be determined
    You can do this
    1 x
    pricey1981

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:14 am

Bluetack2 wrote:
    Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:39 pm

I have seen a select few people say they’ve been able to revert to being a “recreational” punter. Is it really possible or am I setting myself up to fail by thinking that’s the case?

I keep treating gambling as a means of making money (having lost so much, I get excited about every decent “win” boosting my savings. Which is so dumb considering I usually withdraw some in a few days when I need to chase losses.)

Thanks for reading. Apologies for the long post - I think I needed to get all these thoughts out to really understand and track my behaviour. And again - GAMBLING IS NOT THE ANSWER. I have pissed away more than $100,000 overall by now and the vicious cycle of being ecstatic when winning and inconsolable when inevitably losing will repeat unless I change.
    Hey mate
    It all depends on the person but i see similar traits in your story to myself which means you probably can't become a recreational punter if im being honest.
    You can try and chase all you want but you will never get back what you have outlayed.
    You have lost over 100k... ive prob lost more than 500k and i tried to chase trust me. You also said you have been given a few chances... trust me they go away at some point.
    I just lost my wife because she gave me so many chances to deal with it and i didnt, its inevitable someone will walk away from you if you dont fix yourself.
    Its your call in the end, do you want to keep doing something that affects you in such a negative way? i chose not to and after not gambling for a few months now i feel great and i dont want to go back.
    Its an awesome feeling knowing you dont have to stress about not being able to go buy a beer at the pub without borrowing money or getting groceries without having to worry if you have enough in the account
    Good luck to you mate, i think you know the answer otherwise you wouldnt be here :);
    1 x
    pamela

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 am

Well said Pricey..all our gambling affects us in some way whether its monetary or personal.
    We all lose more than money
    Its all about choice and making the right choice,life is definitely better without gambling
    Make the right choice
    2 x
    Bluetack2

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:52 pm

A
    0 x
    Bluetack2

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:39 pm

A
    0 x
    Bluetack2

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:43 pm

A
    1 x
    Bluetack2

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:47 pm

A
    0 x
    pamela

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:36 am

Hi Bluetack
    When we stop gambling of course we miss that high and the adrenaline rush..but its fleeting as you know.
    The anguish you feel when you lose..is that the feeling you want ?
    Sure,you might have a win,but you also lose..more than you win ..
    To be a winner is to stop..stop and get off the gambling roundabout.
    Trust me..you start to think clearer because your mind isn't muddied with thoughts of when your next win/bet/pay/loss might happen.
    It takes time to give away a habit and its hard work..but your life takes on a different meaning hen you are unencumbered by the chains of gambling.
    0 x
    Bluetack2

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:28 am

A
    0 x
    AGHS

Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi Bluetack, can I suggest that you seek a professional that provides cognitive based therapy or CBT. They are particularly effective when individuals require support to basically rewire their brains. Not sure what state you are in but in South Australia we have an excellent service through PsychMed that supports people with gambling problems.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”