Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • It’s like walking on a tightrope of razor blades

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Co-Star

Re: It’s like walking on a tightrope of razor blades

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:41 am

Thank you for the great advise @Anon222 and @pamela

I will definitely be leaving my card at home and switching to cardless, I can already see how much this is going to help me resist urges 🤩
    1 x
    Reach for the stars, even if your feet leave the ground you have accomplished something.
    pamela

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 pm

You have to start somewhere .and you have
    I wish you all the best..you CAN do this
    0 x
    unitjohnson

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi Co-star,

I've been addicted to gambling for 5 years now. I list 20,000+ dollars very quickly, and then been losing money regularly ever since. But I don't lose everything because I give some money to someone else to keep for me. She knows never to give any back unless I show her proof what I need it for. Maybe you could ask someone to do this for you. Also, as soon as I get money, I buy grocery gift cards, and basically any useful gift cards such as restaurant and fuel ones. So they're always good because I know I'll be covered for those without risk of losing important money needed for those things. But I still struggle a lot. Any leftover money I always gamble on pokies and scratches. This week I've been lucky and unlucky. I won $800 on the pokies. I put some in my savings, deposited some to my grocery accounts to buy gift cards etc. Then I went again with what was left. I lost a few hundred but thankfully I kept a few hundred at home cos I knew I would lose it if I took it. Well the next morning I went again. Lost it all. That afternoon I managed to scrounge up $80 which was the very last amount of cash I could take. Well I won $600! Yay all my problems were reversed and I'm back on top. Oh wait.. no.. I went to a different machine because it all happened too quickly and I wasn't satisfied enough. Got down to 50 from that $600 and won another $350! Ok I should definitely take out $400 now. Nah let's keep going. 15 minutes later it was all gone again. Now I'm at home feeling angry and annoyed with myself. Ive been knowing I have to stop for years but nothing works. Only a few things which help me keep necessary money. But I never get ahead much. I think the key to stopping is to be STRONG. I know that sounds obvious, but there will ALWAYS be ways around trying to forcibly stop yourself from going. And gambling can be very rewarding sometimes, so that will tempt you. But you just have to tell yourself that although gambling makes you feel better, and there are times where you can win a lot of money, you just have to stop because you can't afford the risk. Think about how much you'll win in the long run by not winning but not losing either. Everything you earn, you get. It's all yours. No one will take it from you. that should be enough to get us to stay away and just focus your attention on healthy productive habits.
    2 x
    gzy3

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 am

Welcome back to this forum @unitjohnson
    Thank you for sharing how you have been with pokies. As you stated, I guess willpower/motivation to stay away from gambling is a key to stop gambling.
    What kind of healthy productive habits have you got in place?
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”