Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Finally self-excluded & seeing counsellor- DAY 20 GF

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Tilney

Finally self-excluded & seeing counsellor- DAY 20 GF

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:13 am

After a serious gambling problem for the past 7-8 years, I hit rock bottom again, but this time I swore it was for the final time. In a moment of desperation I called gambling anonymous and spoke to a nice bloke, I told him I needed to change and it was the first time I’d ever spoken openly about my problem. It felt good. He transferred me to a counsellor and the following day, I went and had my first session. I self-excluded myself from 20 venues in Sydney. I am seeing my counsellor once a week now and this Saturday will be the 4th visit. It feels great to be talking about this issue now, and today is day 20 for me being GF. I plan on never playing the Pokies again, and I was playing every day up to 4 hours. I am still dead broke and in debt but at least I’m not losing money daily on gambling, I need to rebuild but I’m excited for my prospects now that I feel like I have taken the first steps to kicking it.

This is a message to let anyone know who is reading this and finding it hard to stop, trust me, call gambling anonymous, it may be the hardest called you ever do, but they are so helpful. They can set you up to see someone, and it is no where near as bad or scary than you think it might be. If I can do it then anyone can. It feels good to at least be trying to make a difference now. Self-exclusion has eradicated the stimulus, as I know I’m not allowed to enter the premises anymore, and my counsellor did it all for me, so I didn’t have to go inside and do it myself. It also feels great to talk openly and bluntly about some of those sins that you’ve been hiding from everyone else and yourself. Full steam ahead from here!
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: Finally self-excluded & seeing counsellor- DAY 20 GF

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:19 am

@Tilney Thank you so much for sharing such an inspiring and powerful post - I'm so glad to hear how well you're doing and all the fantastic steps you're taking for yourself! Congratulations :) I'm sure this will motivate many others here.

I'm wondering if the phoneline you rang might have been the Gambler's Helpline (1800 858 858)? From what I know gamblers anonymous don't do counsellor referrals, and I just wanted to clarify for others who might be keen to call.

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing more about your journey!
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    Tilney

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Thank you Britt! Very happy to share my struggle/journey with others and yes, you are correct, that was the number that I rang and then the Gamblers Helpline referred me to a counsellor :)
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:26 am

So great Tilney! Thankss and congrat again, looking forward to hearing more :)
    2 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!

Return to “Change Makers”