Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Am I alone.?

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    minnie89

Am I alone.?

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:16 pm

So it’s been 2 days since I have played a gaming machine and the headache I have today is so so bad...
    has anyone else had headaches or is it from something else.?
    Can you get physical withdrawals just from gambling.??? :confused: :confused:
    0 x
    TimTam

Re: Am I alone.?

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi @minnie89

Yes that is quite normal to experience those types of symptoms. Lots of research has shown that people can suffer from suffer from withdrawal symptoms similar to drug use, such as moodiness, irritability, nausea, stomach cramps, headaches and sweats. They will eventually pass, they don't last. How have you been travelling with it all?
    It's important to look after yourself through this time.

Tim Tam
    0 x
    minnie89

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:18 am

I ended up going home sick from work yesterday,
    Today I had urges and wanted to go to the pokies so bad but the self exclusion really has helped knowing I can’t..
    I love your name I eat almost a pack of Tim tams a day haha so bad but so good
    2 x
    PurpleP

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi @minnie89
    Good on you for pushing through those urges and reminding yourself of the self exclusion. It is such a hard journey but the day to day does get easier.

Have you got a plan of what to do when you next get those urges, maybe eating tim tams can be apart of your plan :);

Keep pushing forward and I look forward to reading more from you.

PurpleP
    1 x
    Chunkyquitter

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:34 am

Yep felt anxious and had headaches.

They disappear but it’s dells like quitting a drug. Persevere it is worth it
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 am

hey @minnie89 how are you doing, how was your week?
    Hope you're doing ok
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    minnie89

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:01 am

Hey sorry I don’t get on here nearly as much as I should...
    I had my days and now work has finished up I won’t lie I am bored out of my brains but trying to keep myself occupied
    0 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:06 am

nothing to be sorry for! Just nice for you to know we're here when you feel like it :)

There are lots of people here who talk about being bored. Sometimes I think we should start thread games so everyone can stay entertained together!

How else are you keeping occupied?
    one day at a time :)
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    Mona58

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:39 am

Hey Minnie,

sometimes I think changing the words we use helps . For me l don't like to use the word "bored" because of the sad negative connotation it carries.

When we stop gambling there is a void/ a gap left in time for us to fill. I use this time as a time to relax and enjoy the nothingness. There's just so many ways to fill this void... I've gone through cupboards and my wardrobe... I've learnt about plants I'm looking at recipes ... taking my time cooking... catch up with all those things you may have skipped wben gambling,-. ...& try new things.

there's a whole new life waiting for you ahead!

All the best on your journey and Merry Christmas.

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    pamela

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 pm

I agree with Mona..finding new things to do is the fun part..I took up knitting again..and the boredom you feel us natural but use the time to look after yourself ..
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”