Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • It’s time to change and I am here to do it

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    User 5db511147a75e

It’s time to change and I am here to do it

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi everyone ,

I am here because I know I need to amend my gambling habits. Reflecting over the past 5 years , I have given all my hard earn income into the pokies. I am scared as I am so numb to it and I don’t feel the pinch , it has become so toxic in my life. I am starting a new job soon and I want to set goals to save money and no longer feed my addiction. I am open to all advice and suggestions , I am here to change and I am prepared to do so. I have hit rock bottom many times and just keep returning to chase the high. I know that while I’m still young I need to curb this behaviour before it ruins me forever.
    1 x
    Mona58

Re: It’s time to change and I am here to do it

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Hang tight. Rides the urges. Keep busy. Make changes to everyday routes and routine. Carry as little cash as possible leaving cards at home (or giving them to someone to mind... or as someone suggested in another post try Citibank as they have card less accounts,)

It is tough the first few weeks.. especially the first pay day. It does become easier in time but we have to be vigiliant everyday.

Do new things to keep you busy.

All the best on your journey. A gamble free life is worth fighting for!

Mona.
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Joeb9

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi mate,
    They most certainly are toxic machines that appear to promise so much - yet deliver nothing. I really hope you stay strong and beat this! They are such a sh#t bet, I come to the realisation that they are terrible payouts. Last time I was playing I was doing max bets, $4.50, hit the free feature a few times with only a small payout, but I kept feeding this piece of sh#t my $50 notes. $3000 later I was devastated by how out of control I got, that's why drinking and gambling are evil siblings that go hand in hand and it was time I was honest with myself that I have a problem. Try to open up and tell someone, limit your accounts and avoid vip gaming dens. Use google pay and sync your card up so you can still pay for things at the eftpos but cant withdraw cash.
    Stay strong
    1 x
    User 5db511147a75e

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Thank you both so much , I really means a lot to have support from people I have never met. It definitely is encouraging to hear from people who are fighting / have fought this addiction. I will stay strong !
    1 x
    pamela

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:44 am

It is time for Change.. those machines are designed to addict and they trick our brain.we have to retrain our brain and how we think.its a conscious decision we make to play the machines so we have to make the decision not to play..sounds easy..sure..it's not..it's tough but it can be done with determination and strength..reduce the amount of money you carry and can access..leave your cards at home..confide in a friend work mate family member and ask for help..you can do this and many of us have..so be strong and say no to gambling today
    Good luck
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”