Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Day 2

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Guy

Day 2

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi guys,

This is day 2 of no gambling after getting myself close to 30k in the hole over the last few months.

I have stolen money from my workplace, borrowed from friends, family and my boss to gamble with.
    I am also 8k in debt to a loan shark who isn't going to let it slip with a simple "I am sorry"

Today, I came clean to my boss. (He is a great mate and mentor to me) he understands my struggles and unfortunately I have let him down again after he has bailed me out in the past.

This time is going to be different, I have included my partner in our conversations and am going to do everything in my power to fix this horrible disease.

I have been gambling since I was in year 9 at school and it has become increasingly more damaging as I have gotten older (I am 31).
    My bets have increased, the lies I have told are more extravagant and the risks I have taken are now beyond belief.
    I have never had nice things, but have always put myself before my family, friends, partner and my beautiful baby daughter.

I am greedy and irrational and this is where it stops.

The first step I have taken is that all access to funds has been removed.
    The next step is to continue talking with my family and friends of my struggle and asking for their support.

I will be seeking counselling but am looking for advice as to where people have had success, I know gambling is an illness that can't be rectified but I know it can be treated and managed with the right support network.

I am looking for in patient treatment but it looks like the waiting lists may be quite lengthy. I am also not sure face to face counselling is something that I can 100% commit to as I can be manipulative and feel that I may just go through the motions and give the answers that the councillor wants to hear.

Thanks for listening and please let me know your thoughts.

GM
    2 x
    TimTam

Re: Day 2

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:52 am

Hi @Guy

Well done on coming here and sharing your story, I know that that can take a lot or courage.
    It sounds like you have some great supports around you which is great and will make this journey better for you.
    You will find a lot of people in this online community who truly understand your experience. I hope that the forums can help you gain motivation, strategies and support.
    In patient facilities for gambling are sparse and usually private, you can find them via an internet search or hopefully some people on the forums know of some they can recommend

Have you had a look around the Gambler's Help website? there are some starting points and tips on there. You could also look into the 100 day challenge https://100dc.com.au/
    Looking forward to reading more of your story

TimTam
    1 x
    Guy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks @TimTam .

I am very lucky to have the support and understanding I do.

Today is day 3 and it's a tough one. I usually finish an hour or so before i pick up my daughter and spend that time in the pub. Today I chose to stay at work until she was dropped off and head back home to cook until my partner gets home.

After further discussions with my boss today I have decided it is best that I give up drinking through the week as most of the damage is done after work with a few schooners under my belt.

Although the thoughts were there today the urges didn't get the better of me. I feel a huge sense of positivity and am looking forward to what the future holds.

Another day down! I am looking forward to ticking off day 4 tomorrow.

I have also signed back up for the 100 day challenge after finishing it in 2014.

Thanks again for your support and I will keep checking in daily.
    1 x
    Guy

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:44 pm

Day 4 down.

Today I decided I had earnt myself a beer.

I chose to test my will power and grab a 6 pack after work. Instead of opting for the bottle shop in the shopping centre I chose the bottle shop attached to the pub I frequent when gambling. I had multiple urges to go in and just have 1 schooner (I knew this would lead to a quick 20 in the pokies) I stayed strong and only grabbed what I went there to get.

This was but far my biggest test so far.

Tomorrow is a new day and will be half way towards double digits.

Today marks the longest I can remember without having a hit on the machines, a small punt on the ponies or a bet on sports.

Bring on day 5.
    3 x
    Guy

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:53 pm

Half way to double digits.

It's only day 5 but the positivity continues to run through my veins. My support network has grown and I have shared my story with more people.

The future is looking brighter every minute and I can not wait to see what I'm capable of over the next few weeks.

For those following. Stay strong, keep positive and keep your eye on the prize... There is always someone worse off than you.

Run at me day 6!!!
    2 x
    Guy

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:23 pm

Day 6 done and dusted! Easy day today.
    3 x
    pamela

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:05 am

Well done and keep up the good work..every day gets a bit easier and life gets better
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:33 am

doing great guy and it's great to see you keeping us updated, I hope it helps. I love this

"It's only day 5 but the positivity continues to run through my veins. My support network has grown and I have shared my story with more people.
    The future is looking brighter every minute and I can not wait to see what I'm capable of over the next few weeks."
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”