Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Councelling

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Elizabeth

Councelling

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:27 am

Hi, does anyone here or has anyone seen a gambling councelore? And can recommend or has any advice on how to go about starting this process? Are there free services available ?
    1 x
    clearthatmind

Re: Councelling

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:47 am

Yeah sure, I have used the counselling chat service they have on this site. Just head off to https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/p ... hat/#/chat...If you prefer chatting and not face-to-face, this is a good alternative. I hope it helps
    2 x
    Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight...Proverbs 3:5, 6
    clearthatmind

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 am

Sorry, I may have misread your post. Were you talking about face-to-face only? If so, that might depend on where you live and the services surrounding you. I might be wrong but I think nationally you may be referred (usually by your GP) for 5 government subsidised (free) counselling sessions and if needed another 5 for the year. This may have changed since I last heard of it and might only be in some states or territories. I wish you well
    0 x
    Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight...Proverbs 3:5, 6
    Mona58

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:44 pm

X error post
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Mona58

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi Elizabeth

The Gambling help online number 1800 858 858 will be able to advice and also help you find a local gambling counsellor.

Also You could get a referral from your doctor for 10 free (or a small fee) visits to psychologist / counsellor but these are not necessarily gamble specific.

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    pamela

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Depends where you live but Relationships Australia also offer free counselling and they have other services to offer as well
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 am

Hello @Elizabeth

I'm Calvin one of the facilitators here on the forums.
    Good on you for reaching out for some support.
    You can access a face to face gambling counsellor and/or a financial counsellor free of charge. To organise a referral you can call the 24 hour helpline or get in touch via webchat.

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    0 x
    Mongoose

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi Elizabeth I tried to give up gambling many times on my own and it wasn’t until I started counseling that I really felt I could do it just having that extra support can sometimes really help do go for it even if you think it’s not for you I think you benefit a lot out if it . Mingoose
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”