Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us tonight from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Nothing else left

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Xman

Nothing else left

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:56 am

Gambling has completely ruined my life.

It all started with roulette when I was 19. The worse thing that could happen was me winning. I got the taste of easy money. From there, I lost and lost again.

I then turned to sports betting. Wins were followed with losses. Funny thing is, I feel as though if I put my mind to it and have the patience, I can win when betting on sports. I am always able to build up bank rolls from $500 all the way to $10k. Of course, that takes time and research...but all it takes is one loss...losing discipline...chasing losses and just like that, 2 weeks and countless hours of hard work is down the drain in less than a few hours.

I'm a decent guy, i like to think. Studied law and business. Make a great income. Am friendly and kind. Yet, I'm addicted and I'm sick. I hate myself for the lies I tell. I hate myself for the suicidal thoughts. I hate myself for thinking I should turn to crime. I hate that im 29 with no assets, $28k in debts and cant marry my girlfriend. Everytime I quit I go back. In total, I've blown over $200,000 in the last 10 years.

But today, I've decided to post a brief of my story. I've self excluded from many agencies, albeit not all. I've joined this organisation. I want to be a better person. Im done with being a loser.
    5 x
    pamela

Re: Nothing else left

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi Xman..Well done for posting here and admitting to your problem
    Can you hand over your finances to your girlfriend ?
    The thrill of the win is a killer but we all know that we dont really win..
    Ask for help..confide in someone..do anything to resist those urges
    Good luck
    1 x
    Xman

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:27 am

Thank you, i appreciate it. One day at a time I guess. Such insanity.
    0 x
    pamela

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am

Yes it is crazy..and one day at a time it is..don't over think it..just get through today..every day without gambling is a good day..you CAN do this
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:02 am

Hello @Xman ,

I'm Calvin one of the facilitators here on the forums.
    Good on you for reaching out for some support. Sounds like things have been quite stressful for you lately.
    It can be real easy to get caught up in that toxic pattern of chasing losses and sometimes it feels like its hard to get out of that cycle, but it is possible.
    A good way to grasp an understanding of why sometimes we can't break the cycle is to be mindful of your tiggers/urges to gamble.
    I understand chasing losses can be one of them, but other times it can be due to stress, loneliness, boredom etc. Are there any other triggers/urges that you think of?

As @pamela asked, is it possible for you to pass over your finances to your partner? This can be useful for the time being.

We have gambling counsellors if you;re interested in further support and also financial counselors to help guide you in regards to repaying debts etc. For a referral you can call the helpline or get in touch via webchat if that suits better. Even try installing the 100 Day Challenge app as an extra resource.

Giving up gambling does take time, so remember to be patient and kind to yourself.

(I've sent you a private message, you can access this at the top right hand corner of your screen)

Regards,,

Calvin.
    2 x
    Xman

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:06 am

thankyou all for reaching out.

another terrible day. i looked back at my bets in shame. im rock bottom.

my triggers right now are that im feeling the financial pressures to get a ring, save for a property etc. I save a bit and get the feeling that i can double it, triple it etc. yet i keep ending up back at 0...with more debt. it's actually insanity.

ive now self excluded from all betting agencies. i literally cannot bet anymore.

ill need to bask in my sorrow for the next few days. i deserve it.

sigh...
    2 x
    Chunkyquitter

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 am

Hey Xman was you age in same boat. I told my then GF why I wouldn’t propose h till I could quit gambling.

She knew I gambled but thought it was social. I’m now 42 and married to the same woman. She trusted me with the finances and I have blown it all again, she is yet to find out.

If I could give the 29year old version of myself some advice, it would be to let her manage the money, ensure you uses the internet banking and questions your spending. Don’t hide money or what you earn, because when life gets tough you will revert back to gambling. The rush of small bets is pointless, so if you can’t get access to the cash you will always be a winner.
    1 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Chunkyquitter,

Sherpa09 here (one of the moderators on the forum). You're so right, you're already a winner when you remove all accessibility to cash to not gamble. It can be a difficult road to recovery, however by looking at your relapse and re framing it as a growing experience, rather than going backwards, can steer you back on the right path. Thanks for sharing your story and look forward to your future posts :)

Sherpa 09.
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:51 pm

hey @Xman how are things going?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”