Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • How do I stop for good?

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Elizabeth

How do I stop for good?

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

I've stopped playing the pokies a few times for a couple of weeks or months after playing for about 6 years now. But all it takes it going back just once and I'm right back in the addiction again. I've lost so much money. I wonder how much my mental health has been and is being affected. I just want to stop permanently. I guess you would say I keep relapsing, and more and more I think living like this isn't really living. It's such a hidden addiction too, no one in my life knows about it. The only people who know the extent of my pokie addiction are other gamblers I've met at the pokies who have lost as much as I have! I don't know what to do anymore, I just want to stop permanently.
    3 x
    Tilney

Re: How do I stop for good?

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 pm

I’m in the same boat Elizabeth.. I’ve gone weeks and months before but ruined it all plenty of times by going back in with 20 or 50 bucks, and before I know it, I’ve lost all my savings.
    Tomorrow is day 5 for me gambling free after going every day for hours. I’m rebuilding and am at rock bottom. I have seen each setback as a chance to begin fresh.. you can be gamble free for the rest of your life, starting today, right now :)
    3 x
    pamela

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am

Hi Eliabeth..welcome ..coming here is a big step so well done for doing that.my suggestion to you is to get some counselling as this will be of great benefit.
    Is there someone close to you who you can confide in? Sure it's hard ..at first..but you will be surprised at how understanding they can be..when I stopped playing the and told my family it lifted so much weight off my shoulders just being able to tell someone..
    Stopping isn't easy but if you want it bad enough it will happen.
    Try not taking cash/cards with you when you go out.
    When you have an urge to play.stop and think about why and try to do something else till the moment passes
    Good luck
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi Elizabeth

It can be a difficult road. Slip ups are normal, try to learn the lessons from them, what triggered you at that time to go and gamble. Try to come to an understanding of what put you into a position to lapse, was it a feeling? was it a person? was it a social situation?. That way you can find ways to help prevent a lapse in the future.
    Try to engage in other enjoyable activities or create smaller goals along the way for motivation.

Signing up the the 100 day challenge can be helpful.

Calvin.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”