Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Miserable

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    AussiePear

Miserable

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Feeling pretty down right now. I can’t seem to stop gambling. Any chance I get I’m there throwing money down a poker machine. I have wasted so much money.
    Yet it still doesn’t stop me. I feel at my lowest.
    I am seeing my life flash before me,
    My children, my husband, my business.
    the amount of hours I’ve spent gambling over the years, the thousands of dollars I’ve lost. Such a waste of time, such a waste of money. I have to find a way to stop. I gotta change x
    3 x
    pamela

Re: Miserable

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 am

Hi Miserable..welcome to the forum a great place to come for support.Admitting to a problem is a huge start.Does your husband know? If not telling him and asking him to help would be a start..it isn't easy but once you tell someone the weight is lifted.
    You can stop..but it's hard at first ..however there are lots of ways to help..limit your cash that you have with you and don't carry any cards..
    Ask for help..good luck and be strong
    1 x
    gzy3

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:51 am

Hi @AussiePear
    Thank you for honestly sharing how you are feeling right now. I am sure you will find a way to stop your gambling.
    Have you checked out our Our community's strategies for taking control of gambling!? You may find it helpful especially in the early days of change.
    As @pamela said, not keeping your gambling secrete to your loved ones can be helpful to lessen your burden. They can become a valuable support for your gambling.

Keep us posted!
    0 x
    AussiePear

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for replying both. My husband knows of my gambling habit. His look of disappointment every time I have a huge loss, his look of hatred of me wasting time in front of the pokies when I could and should be at home and I hate it.
    He honestly deserves better.
    I make sure my kids are asleep before I go out to play the pokies sometimes I’m there till stupid hours of the morning. I still make sure I’m up for them in the morning. But I am a wrecked and I’m tired of being this person.
    It’s my first time I’ve reached out to others, but it feels good to be able to relate to some stories I’ve read.
    So thank u x
    4 x
    pamela

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:12 pm

I understand what you are going through..ask your husband for help..as he already knows you gamble it won't come as a surprise..I am sure he will be only too happy to help you..you really need to want to stop to make it happen..it's hard work..it's frustrating..it's a long process..but the end result is so worth it...don't give up the fight..take it one day at a time and think of the benefit to your family..make them the reason you stop and start living life
    4 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Hey aussiepear, welcome to the community!
    Thank you for sharing your story, it takes courage, and it's a great step for yourself.

Keep us updated and continue to seek support here, it really is a wonderful community of understanding and kind people who understand what you're going through.

Take care, BrittV - comm mgr.
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    How the F did I get here

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi Aussiepear,

I relate so much to what you say, being a mum myself. So much wasted money but even worse is the wasted time 😭
    Time we can't get back!

All the best in your quest to be gamble free.
    2 x
    Guardian

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:57 pm

I hear you’re pain but I found what worked for me was not worrying about what I lost in time or money but what I have left to build on.
    It’s like the ship went down with my belongings and I have the clothes on my back to start again to be rescued .

Look ahead don’t look back
    3 x
    gzy3

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi @Guardian It is a great way of thinking that we will only build on what we have left.
    There is always a hope. It is important not to stay upset with what we lost but learn from it and build on again.
    Thank you for your insight Guardian.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”