Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Sodapop

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Hey everyone, glad to have found you all. I am a 26yo female, gambled for the last two years on the pokies.
    I didn't realise how bad my problem was until I caught myself lying to my loved ones about my whereabouts on more than a couple of occasions. The shame, fear of being found out, the remorse... It is just awful. I have been swept up in a cycle and now it is time to break it. Not going to be easy as this is my first attempt so if anyone has any advice on how to fight urges or negative self-talk, I would really appreciate your guidance.

Grateful to be here.
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:01 am

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post Sodapop. There are many here who can relate to what you're feeling, I hope you find this to be a helpful community when starting your journey. Lots of great support here!

You might find our site's info on understanding gambling helpful - lots of info on urges there that should help get you started.

Otherwise looking forward to others' insights for you.

All the best, see you around!
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    tryingtohelpmyself

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Im nearly 22 and have gambled for 4 years. 2017 i won $25000 and lost that in a week. This is my 6th time i have tried to quit.
    Years on i am $40,000 in debt to my grandfather who i stole from too, stole silver and cashed it in.
    I hate myself for it and i can't believe i stole to fuel my addiction to the one person i love the most in this world.
    All up i think I've lost $100,000 but it stops now. I am so embarrassed and ashamed.

I have to earn my grandfathers trust back. I will give him all my pay and pay the $40,000 by December this year. I have no other option. I want to do this for my future self. This is my 3rd day free of this evil habit. Pray for me.
    2 x
    HelpfulBee

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54 am

Hi @tryingtohelpmyself ,

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like gambling has impacted your life in a way that is in conflict with your values. However, I think it says a lot about you to set this goal of paying your grandfather back and working towards this goal for the next year.

What strategies will you try this to help you quit gambling?

You may find it helpful to read about other peoples experiences here on the forums and get insight into what other people have tried too.

Best of luck on your journey, please reach out whenever you need extra support!

- HelpfulBee
    1 x
    tryingtohelpmyself

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:42 am

HelpfulBee wrote:
    Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54 am
    Hi @tryingtohelpmyself ,

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like gambling has impacted your life in a way that is in conflict with your values. However, I think it says a lot about you to set this goal of paying your grandfather back and working towards this goal for the next year.

What strategies will you try this to help you quit gambling?

You may find it helpful to read about other peoples experiences here on the forums and get insight into what other people have tried too.

Best of luck on your journey, please reach out whenever you need extra support!

- HelpfulBee
    Thanks! I am going into my 5th day free of gambling and feeling strong. I am so lucky to have my family behind me now. Honesty is key.
    1 x
    Springhope17

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:17 pm

@tryingtohelpmyself
    Welcome!
    You should consider starting up a post maybe on the 100 days challenge area. Then you can checkin and keep ur progress updated! Congrats on 5 days! Stay strong
    1 x
    MissD

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:50 pm

I’m a 53 year old professional who has been gambling for over 10 years now. More recently it has turned into desperation trying to win my money back only to find I’m getting further into debt. My income is casual so never know what it will be. Despite Knowing this I push the boundaries to living within a dollar of my next pay. I’m scared, afraid and ashamed. I have nothing to show for my years of working. No one knows I gamble so the stress of trying to justify what I’m doing with my money is wearing me down. I can’t stand myself. I just want the ground to open up and swallow me. I work hard and long hours and lose it in a matter of hours. I don’t know what to do or how to stop this crazy behaviour.
    1 x
    Springhope17

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Welcome @MissD
    I know exactly how you feel alot of us do on here. Losing all our money over and over again caught in this horrible cycle.
    This is what has worked for me in breaking free.. and it has been a long process with a few of relapses along the way!
    Go to the 100 Day Challenge on this website and start ur own thread. Then check in every few days.. the support you receive from everyone on here is amazing.
    Call the Gambling Helpline and get connected with a face to face counsellor I have one and she is amazing.. has helped me learn alot about myself in particular that the negative self talk and hatred I can feel for myself isnt helping me going forward. The importance of self care!
    Limit ur access to money - When my pay goes in i lay in bed and pay all my overdue bills! That way I cant be tempted to go to the stupid pokies if I dont have any money.
    It is hard to beat this addiction but it can be done! There are alot of people on here who have been gamble free for years now! That should of been me too but I am working towards it once again.
    You can do this!
    3 x
    Elite

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 am

This is my first post. I am a fmr cop with PTSD (getting treatment). Initially (like 20 years ago) I went downhill in the drug scene and gave that up however it’s been replaced with gambling. Now out of control. I worked hard to buy a house near the beach (huge mortgage) but I’m putting all this at risk. Lost hundreds of thousands 2017-19 and 2020 resolution lasted 3 weeks before blowing $16k this weekend.
    It’s primarily online betting. I’m isolating myself and can feel I’m at a real tipping point and I have a son I love very much and know this is going to destroy my life and his if I don’t stop but it’s just so hard- I’m so depressed and angry at myself at the same time. I have always turned to sports (part of my occupation) but since 2017 I have medical issues that decrease the amount and intensity I can train. I think I need a social group seperate from my life that can help me before it’s too late.....
    1 x
    Mona58

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:53 am

Hi

Call the gambling helpline 1800858858 and they can advice on putting blocks On your phone / computer so you can't gamble Online.

Don't dwell on the past and make the future as good as you can. Sometimes we need to realise we cannot push ourselves to do the things we used to and accept our limitations. Do and find new things to keep busy because the first few weeks' and a good 12 months, can be a bumpy journey.

Read as much as you can to understand how gambling works on manipulating the mind.

All the best on your journey to the gamble free life! Stay strong and keep posting we're all here to offer support.

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius

Return to “Change Makers”