Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    trappnz

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:58 pm

have a problem sports gambling have been doing for around a year..pretty much bet everyday just feels like a normal thing feels weird not to have something goin ..like to multi /parlay bet ..love following sports but the gambling has got a bit out of hand .hate poker machines have never been hooked on them ..its like gambling is what i do for fun now..used to be fishing .even thought i could stop working an just gamble but was kidding myself .. i hope to sort my self out for everyone in my life
    0 x
    PurpleP

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Welcome to the community @trappnz and thank you for introducing yourself

It takes a lot of strength and courage, but coming here and beginning your journey already shows fantastic strength. Its so common for it to creep up and get worse but starting to realise its becoming a problem is one big step in a positive direction. I wonder if reigniting other things that are fun for you like fishing might help too.

I look forward to hearing updates on your journey and please post on here when you need as it is a non-judgemental communty of people who've been where you are now.

Take care, Purple P.
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 am

Welcome to the community @WashedUp, @isarah, @Natalie or Nat, @trappnz.

Thank you for your posts and for sharing your story. It sounds like each of you have a lot going on in your lives and with y our gambling. We're glad you've joined us to grow your network and share support while working on your change. Its a great community here of lovely people who all understand what you're feeling.

This thread is mostly for introductions so you may find that starting a new topic thread for yourself is a great way to connect with others, to chat about ideas, strategies and experiences. You may also like to join us for Chatty Tuesday each week, from 6pm AEDT where we come online to talk about our weeks. Tomorrow we'll be offering the theme of finances at christmas time, but you can also talk about anything you like.

Take care and looking forward to hearing an update from you soon.
    brittV, community manager
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    HarryVic

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello everyone.
    I am new here.
    I have been gambling for about 3 years and I lost heaps of money during this 3 years particularly in last 12 months.
    Last night alone I lost about $2000 which is a lot of money for me as I have a low income.
    I feel so angry with myself as I lost all my money just a day before Christmas and now I have to struggle every day until my next payment.
    Gambling has affected my life badly and I even started smoking cigarettes heavily because of gambling.
    I attempted to stop gambling (Pokies particularly) many times, but I was unsuccessful, therefore decided to get help from others.
    I really hope that I can get back to my normal life soon.
    Thank you.
    Harry.
    2 x
    Springhope17

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Welcome Harry,
    Great job on reaching out for help! Its a very tough time especially when we have blown all our money gambling! It can make us feel miserable. Try as many strategies and resources as you can until u find something that works for you.
    All the best!
    2 x
    JAPAZ

I'm back

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:15 pm

It is ironic: when I posted in this forum over half a year ago, I thought I would never gamble again. Then I turned back to gamblinf all my triggers were hit/tempted at once, and bit by bit, it got back to its usual destructive self. The other irony is then I thought I'd never be back in this forum (as I became obsessed to bet again) and yet here I am now.

Why I am here today is to say I plan to quit forever. I say this with more appreciation, from hindsight, about the road ahead now. The road is: we are very likely to relapse and that is part of the journey. This is not to pretend relapsing is good, and that we should do it if tempted. Ideally cold turkey would be much better, but it is extremely hard giving up entirely. I think I'm finding the best balance for us is being very proactive to do everything possibly to never bet. Everything discussed in this forum. But if we do mess up, get back on that road to stopping. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed or weak or pathetic for relapsing. Don't feel isolated and alone either. Just get back to doing what you can to prevent it, focus on progress and seek more support and resources! I didn't do this when I relapsed. I self hated. I felt alone. I felt stupid and embarassed. Gambling seemed my only road as I convinced myself it was my only road. Then I had to go through all the self-loathing, big losses and false hopes for any very minor win in between which only confuses a gambling addict even more!

I need help, you need help.. now let's stop being so shy and go out and get it. Let's conquer this monster once and for all!

Cheers

Josh
    3 x
    Lucy101

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:04 pm

New here. I'm 46. I'm very secretive about my gambling so no one knows the true extent. I started a year ago after 15 years of not gambling and now I'm out of control. My partner left me just before Xmas and I haven't coped at all. He is a gambler and I started because I would sit there with him while he bet at the TAB. He would ignore me while he was betting so I would wander off to the pokies for a bit of fun. Now I can't stop going because I'm so lonely. I can't sit still. Have completely ran out of money not sure how I'm going to pay the rent for the next few weeks... keep thinking I will have one last big win then stop. The win never comes..
    4 x
    Lucy101

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:11 pm

Bear22 wrote:
    Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 pm
    Hi @BrittV (facilitator) absolutely and it's exactly what I've done plus trying a few new things like the "accountability challenge". For the record, my current position is not even close to my rock bottom about 5 or 6 years ago which I'm so grateful for ! Here's a snapshot of my history and hopefully it can encourage and help others here.

My rock bottom about 5 or 6 ago:
    • gambled everyday without a doubt for hours on hours
    • had about 8 credit cards all maxed out
    • had a line of credit maxed out
    • massive debt
    • couldn't wait until pay day and would just blow it
    • tried counselling unsuccessful
    • no assets
    Today no debt, one credit card paid off every month, new car, investment property up and running, block of land which I'm looking to on-sell shortly and new job. Now everyone's circumstances are different so in my opinion it's really about determining what works based on individual circumstances. Happy to share the strategies that worked for me as well as forutnate things that helped it along. Although, I'm in a much better place it requires focus and a plan otherwise, it's a vicious circle as we all know !
    Just wondering what strategies worked for you. Love that you have been able to overcome this challenge!
    1 x
    HarryVic

Re: I'm back

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 pm

JAPAZ wrote:
    Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:15 pm
    It is ironic: when I posted in this forum over half a year ago, I thought I would never gamble again. Then I turned back to gamblinf all my triggers were hit/tempted at once, and bit by bit, it got back to its usual destructive self. The other irony is then I thought I'd never be back in this forum (as I became obsessed to bet again) and yet here I am now.

Why I am here today is to say I plan to quit forever. I say this with more appreciation, from hindsight, about the road ahead now. The road is: we are very likely to relapse and that is part of the journey. This is not to pretend relapsing is good, and that we should do it if tempted. Ideally cold turkey would be much better, but it is extremely hard giving up entirely. I think I'm finding the best balance for us is being very proactive to do everything possibly to never bet. Everything discussed in this forum. But if we do mess up, get back on that road to stopping. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed or weak or pathetic for relapsing. Don't feel isolated and alone either. Just get back to doing what you can to prevent it, focus on progress and seek more support and resources! I didn't do this when I relapsed. I self hated. I felt alone. I felt stupid and embarassed. Gambling seemed my only road as I convinced myself it was my only road. Then I had to go through all the self-loathing, big losses and false hopes for any very minor win in between which only confuses a gambling addict even more!

I need help, you need help.. now let's stop being so shy and go out and get it. Let's conquer this monster once and for all!

Cheers

Josh
    Hi Josh.
    I have tried many times to not go back to dark days but I made the same mistake and felt stupid after that.
    As you said we have to beat this monster once forever and I am sure if we get helps and be honest with ourselves we can do it.
    0 x
    MEZ

Re: New here? Change makers inwwtroduce yourself here!

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:10 am

Why do we think we can win?
    Why do we relapse?
    Why is there not more support?
    You're right feel embarrassed, pathetic and stupid when go again.
    Life is so much better without pokies.
    These people are not my friends.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”