Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:39 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Tdhuy521993 :); Feel free to post an intro about yourself here and questions you have for our community. Look forward to hearing from you.
    0 x
    reeny

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:34 pm

I’m 32 years old, any time I get money I blow it on the pokies, I am embarrassed and ashamed, I’ve gone as far as having $10,000 cash I was going to deposit at the bank - blew it all on the pokies and de an elaborate lie that I lost my handbag.
    No one knows my struggle, I just blew $200 and then took out a cash converters loan and blew another $800.
    I have wasted so much money.
    I’ve made an appointment at my GP this week to hopefully see a psychologist and maybe get some strategies to help.
    1 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum @reeny . No one knowing your struggle is an incredibly hard place to be in, good on you for reaching out and recognising that you'd like some support. Well done for taking the step to speak to your GP for a psychologist appointment. In the meantime, have you spoken to one of our Counsellors? We have support available 24/7, see links below and some self-help tools you may find helpful.

Making a change - see here.
    Take a step forward - see here.
    0 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:44 pm

Welcome to our newest member @blue175. We look forward to hearing from you :);
    0 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Welcome to the forum @Jimap :); Feel free to let us know a bit about yourself and what has brought you here today.
    0 x
    Jimap

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:11 pm

Hi,

I found this forum to connect with others who have family that have a gambling addiction. For many years I have felt alone and angry. My now ex partner has a 25 year gambling addiction and we were together 15 of those years. We have now separated due to his gambling and I finally have felt safe enough to reach out and begin working on myself. I loved this man with all my heart unfortunately he loved gambling more...
    1 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi @Jimap thanks so much for sharing with us. I'm certain you will be able to connect and find support from others that have been through a similar situation with a loved one. It's great to hear that you feel safe enough to reach out and begin working on yourself, that's a huge step. It's naturally a heartbreaking situation to have been in, we'll be here to support you along the way. Self-care is really important too, what have you got planned for the long weekend?
    0 x
    Jimap

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:10 pm

I have 2 nights alone as the children are with their father but I have bought a new book and intend to take some long walks, eat lots of chocolate and continue to work through my love over addiction program. :o :o
    0 x
    Just do it

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Breaks my heart to read this! Heartbreaking!!

I am that ‘other man’ in my relationship.

I need help! I am starting my challenge to beat this awful addiction.

Thanking you for your honestly and courage to share! I will use this to inspire me on my journey!

Thinking of you in this challenging time!
    0 x
    Corey47

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi, I am a 32 year old pokie addict who has blown more money than I could count. I have been playing these machines for over 10 years and progressively gotten worse. I am financially unstable because of my addiction , not to mention depressed and ashamed a lot of the time because of my habit. I have joined this forum because I am sick of my ways. Gambling no longer serves me and I hope I can learn to overcome with some help
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”