Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:49 am

Hi Kwams5
    Stopping gambling and getting off the roller-coaster will be the hardest thing you have to do.
    Retraining your brain into thinking differently is really challenging,but can be done.
    You have a baby on the way ,that should be enough incentive to turn your life around to give your child the best chance ,,you would be giving yor best self .
    We have all hit rock bottom and most of us have clawed our way out and you can to,with strength and determination
    Keep telling yourself
    "I won't gamble today"
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:55 am

Hi Kwarms5 and welcome
    Stopping gambling and getting off this roller coaster will be the hardest thing you do.
    Retraining your brain to think differently is hard,but can be done with strength and determination.
    When your child is born you want to be the best possible person you can be.
    We have all hit rock bottom and most of us have clawed our way out and you can to.
    Come here often for support and encouragement
    And tell yourself
    "I won't gamble today"
    2 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:06 am

Welcome to the forum @Reborn we look forward to hearing from you :);
    0 x
    Belac

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:48 pm

Hi there, I'm Caleb a 21 year old carpenter.

I'm obviously new to this sort of thing so not really sure on what to say . I guess I will start off by saying that I've struggled with gambling probably for 2-3 years now. and it's starting to really affect my relationship with my partner. Im digging myself a debt hole that I can't seem to find the rope to help pull me out. I really want a future with her, that's why I'm here to seek guidance and support to help me change.
    1 x
    Trixie

Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:25 pm

Welcome to the forums @Belac
    Hopefully you find the support and resources you are looking forward to help with your gambling :)
    1 x
    TheTiges

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi @Belac

I'm one of the moderators here and just wanted to say wellcome to the forums and well done for reaching out !

What steps have you taken so far to help you to reach your goal or what do you think could potential work for you ? I hope you find the forums helpful to you, also take some time to read what other members have posted in other threads.

Keep posting.
    1 x
    Sportsupport33

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:41 am

Hi my name is Jack,

I'm 27 years old and have had a gambling problem since I was about 20.

When I was 18 I had $15,000 in my bank account from working 15-20 hours a week at McDonalds. I remember the bank teller at the time saying that's a really good effort.

I now have less than that earning around $80,000 per year. I used to get paid weekly at McDonalds and found getting $500 a week net easier to save than $5,000 a month. However, back then I didn't have as many expenses, had a different outlook on life and money was a lot more valuable to me then as well.

Online gambling has been the big issue for me. I find I'm good at picking winners in the dogs but then can't stop and keep betting until I've lost it all. Then I chase the losses and continue losing. It feels like I have no emotions, intelligence or anything when this is happening. Then when it's all gone, a slight delay occurs and then I feel terrible shame and guilt.

I have made significant mistakes in the last few months and have admitted my guilt to myself and want to repair and fix the damage that has occurred. I'm extremely regretful and given the opportunity to undo or fix these mistakes, I'll do everything in my power to stop gambling which was the driver to make these mistakes.

I'm worried that I won't be able to have a second chance though and am extremely anxious and have had recent dark thoughts if I'm not able to undo these mistakes. I feel great shame in myself but even more so on the people close to me that have been or will be effected by this.
    1 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi @Sportsupport33 welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out. Good on you for taking the step towards breaking the habit, you've come to the right place for support. As much as it may not feel like it at times, every day is a new chance to make a change. I'm wanting to make sure you are okay as you mentioned you have had recent dark thoughts. Have you considered having a chat to one of our Counsellors? They are available 24/7 and it is a free service, see here.
    0 x
    Girl91

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:24 pm

I feel your pain, I’m 29 and have had a gambling problem since about 24.. it’s like I know I shouldn’t but I get so bored living so far away from friends and family. I don’t really have any hobbies I just go to work and then on pay day I find my self most times gambling to kill time. I feel like I do it the most when I’m struggling money wise, I just have something inside my head that says well I’ll play to get extra money so I can buy the things I need and 9/10 times I end up losing it all and then left with nothing :(
    1 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum @Nat1979 we look forward to hearing from you :);
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”