Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Paris196563*

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:49 am

hello, Yesterday was my last day of gambling. I woke up during the night with anxiety, this happens to me when I lose money playing the pokies. But it doesn't stop me from doing it again. i don't always feel anxious but when I spend too much money it happens. I did that last night and I woke up couldn't sleep and found this site. I actually feel a weigh off me. Ive put some things in place already to make sure I don't gamble and I know its not going to be easy but I'm hopeful that with little steps I will overcome it. I don't want to feel that way anymore. Theres so much more to do than waste money gambling. wish me luck!
    2 x
    TheTeam

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:09 pm

A warm welcome to our newest members @la88, @pylotar, @Ehgagiof, @Rachel2mck, @Paris196563*, @Sanders and @Lynda!

These forums are a safe place for you to connect with other people with similar experiences and support each other. Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves. Would be great to know what brought you to the forums, if you have any goals in joining we can support you with or if you have any questions regarding how to navigate the forums.

Looking forward to reading you around. :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:21 pm

Hi @Paris196563*, welcome and kudos for sharing your story with us!

I'm very glad you've found the forums, they say "a problem shared is a problem halved", and that's why we're all here to support each other. :); Reaching out for the 1st time and putting supports in place can often be some of the hardest steps, so well done! I'm wondering what sort of things have you put in place to make sure you don't gamble?

Spot on, taking little steps is a fantastic approach. I highly recommend you have a look at the 100 Day Challenge and also go through some of the Success Stories on here for some motivation/inspiration.

Let us know how you're going, and best of luck!
    0 x
    Damaged_Armour

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Paris196563* wrote:
    Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:49 am
    hello, Yesterday was my last day of gambling. I woke up during the night with anxiety, this happens to me when I lose money playing the pokies. But it doesn't stop me from doing it again. i don't always feel anxious but when I spend too much money it happens. I did that last night and I woke up couldn't sleep and found this site. I actually feel a weigh off me. Ive put some things in place already to make sure I don't gamble and I know its not going to be easy but I'm hopeful that with little steps I will overcome it. I don't want to feel that way anymore. Theres so much more to do than waste money gambling. wish me luck!
    Welcome to the club.
    1 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    Paris196563*

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:36 am

One of the things I’ve put in place is a weekly reminder in my calendar so every Thursday which is the day I usually feel like going to the pokies I’ve got a reminder to check my journal where I wrote how it made me feel and I’ll update that each week. It’s just a small thing but I feel it will help me remember that anxiousness that’s gambling brings. I’ve also spoken to my partner and told him we will not be gambling anymore as entertainment which he was happy about.
    3 x
    Damaged_Armour

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 am

Paris196563* wrote:
    Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:36 am
    One of the things I’ve put in place is a weekly reminder in my calendar so every Thursday which is the day I usually feel like going to the pokies I’ve got a reminder to check my journal where I wrote how it made me feel and I’ll update that each week. It’s just a small thing but I feel it will help me remember that anxiousness that’s gambling brings. I’ve also spoken to my partner and told him we will not be gambling anymore as entertainment which he was happy about.
    Great concious decision. Still go out and treat yourselves, perhaps a nice meal out (if you're not in lockdown like we are here in Sydney), or a little bit or alot from what you would've gambled away each week into an account as a dedicated holiday fund.
    2 x

Anita44

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:29 am

Hi paris196563
    Welcome and good luck with your journey, we all here together for the same reason so don't be scare to say it out loud than it will make you feel better after.
    Take one day at the time, treat yourself sometime nice and be kind to yourself.
    2 x
    Paris196563*

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:58 am

It’s funny but when we were in lockdown last year we couldn’t go to any gaming venues over 100 days and it didn’t bother me one bit. My problem isn’t that I feel the need to go every day etc but when I do go I always spend more than intended and it’s such a waste of money. I’m going to def do that suggestion that I treat myself with something else and am def saving for that holiday. If you”re in Sydney I can understand how hard this lockdown is but imagine all the money the punters are saving atm that’s one positive 👍
    2 x
    Damaged_Armour

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Paris196563* wrote:
    Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:58 am
    It’s funny but when we were in lockdown last year we couldn’t go to any gaming venues over 100 days and it didn’t bother me one bit. My problem isn’t that I feel the need to go every day etc but when I do go I always spend more than intended and it’s such a waste of money. I’m going to def do that suggestion that I treat myself with something else and am def saving for that holiday. If you”re in Sydney I can understand how hard this lockdown is but imagine all the money the punters are saving atm that’s one positive 👍
    Absolutely, even just looking at my balance this morning, general spending has gone down also being in lockdown.
    1 x

Anita44

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Hi paris196563
    I was like that too, when the first lockdown I was save alots of money, as the first day pokies opening up I'm their and I spend more than ever before, the more we loose the more we raise our bet, back than I only spend $100 or $150 just for fun and that the Max, than increase my bet from $2000 to $6000 each time.
    The last time I play was just over 2 month ago I lost just over $12000 in 2 day, my thought I might get a heart attack or something, cos I feel sick, why I let this pokies machine over take my life that when I decide enough it's enough. My determination are 100% stop gamble, I take each day at the time, learn to let go with my past, concentrate the present even it a slow way but it's a right way for me.
    By telling family n friend it's a great way too, cos I get full support from my partner and his parents.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”