Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    TheTiges

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am

hi @Pohong ,

Welcome to the forum. This is a space for sharing your journey and experiences with others going through the same!

There are lots of great threads throughout the forum, such as the 100 Day Challenge. You can read other peoples stories here.

You might want to start your own, many members find it useful to use it like a journal to keep track of how they're going!

Just remember, one day at a time! :);
    0 x
    TheTiges

Sun May 02, 2021 1:45 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Eggroll99, @Joe blow, @Benben and @Two1.

It's great you've decided to join us. :); Hopefully you'll find useful information, as well as the support from others with similar experiences.

Feel free to post an intro about yourselves.

Looking forward to reading you in the forums.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need help, or have any questions or suggestions.
    The Team
    0 x
    Welito

Sun May 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi all, I am 29 and have been gambling for around 12 years. It started socially with older friends and it developed into an addiction for myself but friends did not seem to have the same level of dependence on gambling. I have tried to stop before and at times it has seemed under control, only to blow out and go through big losses leading to extended periods of chasing week after week. I have hit rock bottom more times then I can recall and after a recent loss I decided that it is time to get myself some real help. I have a supportive partner and this is the first time trying to quit that I actually feel I can do it, and actually want to do it. Reading through some of the posts in the forum I am glad I joined, I am at day 4 and focusing on each day as it comes
    0 x
    TheTiges

Sun May 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi @Welito,

Thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to speak out and ask for help.

It's great that your partner is supportive. Have a look at some of the strategies here.

I'm really happy to read that you've found the forum useful. Many people use it for journalling as a way to keep themselves accountable.

Congratulation on reaching your Day 4 gamble free!!! That's a great accomplishment, particularly having gotten through the weekend. Good job! :);

Please keep reaching out in the forums at anytime, we're here for you. I'm sure you'll also find the support and advise from others that have gone through similar experiences. And if you feel that you need to speak to someone, you can call our counsellors for free 24/7 on 1800 858 858.
    "Live one day at a time and make it a masterpiece" (Dale West)
    :cool:
    0 x
    TheTiges

Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 am

Welcome to our newest members @DevT, @klc789 and @Huddo!

In the forums you'll find some useful information, as well as the support from others that have gone through similar experiences.

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves and don't hesitate to reach out if you need help or have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums,
    The Team
    :);
    0 x
    JCNL88

Mon May 03, 2021 9:34 pm

Hi,

This is Abit different for me as I've never had the guts to identity my gambling addiction

I'm 32 years old and started gambling when I was 18, there were times where I wouldn't gamble but it wouldn't last long as something would always bring me back to it.

I have 3 beautiful children I'm due to get married in October but the way I'm going there's a chance it won't happen, I've been with my fiance for 8 years and she has delt with my gambling addiction the whole time she is one of the strongest people i know.

I need to change I don't want to be this person anymore I'm sick of thinking about winning big or what I would do if I did, always chasing my tail dropping in for a quick slap which Turns into a expensive afternoon then trying to come up with an excuse where the money went when she knows exactly where it's gone.

I don't know where to start as this has been my life style for years now. I don't want to lose my family I want to change.

I do earn good money but what's the point of it if I'm just going to continue throwing it away. This afternoon I emptied the account trying to chase a major paying $1000 on a pokie machine even if I got it I was still behind for how much I put in.

I want to change my ways for my family

Any advice is much appreciated
    0 x
    Printemps

Tue May 04, 2021 9:19 am

Hi @JCNL88 ,

I just want to start out by saying welcome and congratulations. Recognising an addiction can be really hard, and reaching out for help can be even hard, so good on you.

it sounds like you have a wonderful family around you, and that your partner is a great support. They are also a great motivation to keep focused on your recovery journey.

To start off, you might find it useful to check out the 100 day challenge threads! For a lot of members starting their own thread and using it as a journal can help with accountability, and is also a great way to track your progress. you cane find them here

It might also be worthwhile checking out the blog. There are a lot of great articles with tips and tricks for staying focused and managing cravings and urges.

Do any other community members have any tips or advice they can give!

Looking forward to hearing about your journey! :);
    0 x
    pamela

Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm

To all the new members..good on you for reaching out,it's the hardest thing to do.Recognising and admitting a problem is a huge step.
    Giving up gambling is tough and it takes work..but it can be done so you can get a quality of life back
    Ask for help along the way..come here for support
    Don't give up
    2 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Welcome to our newest members @RF1985, @Abdulhawa, @Riley7, @Rach08, @Revenant and @Jaxonwarner!

In the forums you'll find some useful information, as well as the support from others that have gone through similar experiences.

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves and don't hesitate to reach out if you need help or have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums.
    :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue May 04, 2021 3:44 pm

Thank you @pamela for your kind and encouraging words for the new members. :);
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”