Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 am

Hi there @Corey47

Good on you for reaching out to us all and sharing your experience.
    I hope you find the forums helpful, it’s a great place to receive helpful tips and advice from fellow members with their own personal experiences.
    Gambling can have quite a damaging effect on many people and it’s important to work towards breaking the cycle. What main urges do you experience that encourage the gambling? Is there a particular time of the day\week where you feel most triggered?
    Think about different things you could do to help defuse some of those urges as well.
    0 x
    kiwi5688

Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Hi,

New member here, have tried to quit multiple times by myself with no luck. But have a new daughter so cannot afford to stay on the same path I was on.
    1 x
    Safari

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi @kiwi5688,

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you've been struggling with your gambling. It's great that you're reaching out for support now!
    It sounds like you really care for your daughter. What do you think has been the biggest obstacle for you to stop?
    0 x
    User 5fe935b066fb4

Hi I’m Sammy and I’m a gambling addict

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:24 pm

I have been gambling for the best part of 2 decades and would have lost 1000s. The final straw was losing an $800 multi by one point yesterday and it was traumatic as I needed the money. The depression is real... I only think about gambling when I’m drinking, I will not touch a pokie machine sober so I’m wondering whether the alcohol has to go also? It’s nice to meet you all, I don’t want to be in this rut anymore.
    0 x
    TheTeam

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi @5fe935b066fb4,

First of all, welcome to the forum. We’re happy that you’ve reached out, and we hope you can find some useful information on here, as well as the support from others with similar experiences to yours.

We’re really sorry to hear you’re feeling depressed due to yesterday’s traumatic experience, as well as the financial distress you’re going through.

Seems like you’ve already identified drinking as a trigger. Is quitting alcohol something feasible for you to do?

You can also contact our counsellors over the phone if you want further support. It’s a free Financial Counselling Hotline which operates from 9:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday - 1800 858 858

We’re here for you.
    The Team
    0 x
    TheTiges

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:58 am

Hi @Angelinaballerina ,

Welcome to the forum! This is a space to share your journey and connect with others for tips and support! We'd love to hear from you. :);
    0 x
    TheTiges

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Hey there @Dextyrious

Welcome to the forum. This is a space to connect with people who want to change their gambling habits, and share support and tips for recovery. When you're ready we'd love to hear a it about you and your story.

:o
    0 x
    TheTiges

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:08 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Samuel22,

This is a space for you to share your recovery journey, discuss any challenges you face and find some tips for staying on track.

If you'd like to check out some of the threads, the 100 Day Challenge threads are a great place to start!

viewforum.php?f=17

I look forward to hearing your story

TheTiges :o
    0 x
    royalblue143

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:53 am

Hi I am new here because I am ready to make gambling only in my past. It is such a lonely addiction and problem and I hope that connecting with all member here will make it less painful an help me heal.

Pokies were everything to me the past few years and I really lost my self control and large amounts of money. I disconnected from people and my main relationship was with those machines, going whenever I could or got money. I am coming off another loss and I always think I won't got back but I do and that has to change.

I am on here to do everything I can to change and be free from the trap of pokies machines.

When I wake up tomorrow it will be day 1 of stopping. I am not free yet and the pull will be very strong, but everyday I don't go the closer I get to real freedom. Here we go to GF 100 day challenge.

Please reach out an offer your support, I really need it. Lot of love to all for taking the time to read. Bless you
    1 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:59 am

Hi @royalblue143 welcome and good on you for reaching out and sharing your story. Congrats on taking this very first step we'll be here cheering you on! :D As today is your first day 1, what have you got planned?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”