Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Paris196563*

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:30 pm

They should not be allowed to take that amount of money from you, it’s criminal. I’m glad you are finding support, there’s so much more to life than losing money and feeling depressed, keep up the good work 👏👏
    3 x
    Anita44

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:33 pm

Hi paris196563 thank you , yes I am very lucky I stop on time, I don't want to loose everything we work hard for.
    It's a wonderful thing that I am able to stop gamble now, I am very proud of myself everyday. Life it's good without gamble.
    3 x
    Printemps

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:45 am

welcome to our newest members @Roys59 , @mummabear02 , @DuckGetsBuckets and @Happy102

These forums are here to share you stories and connect with others! You might want to start by having a look through our Success Stories Thread , or the 100 Day Challenge Threads

When you're feeling ready, you can post your stories here! :o
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:59 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Chilliconnolly and @Chrisnunn21!

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves.

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :);
    1 x
    Roys59

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:38 am

Good morning everyone,

I’ve never posted on a forum before so not sure if this will even work.

My story spans a long time unfortunately. When I met my wife I already had a serious problem so had told her that I would transfer my income (except $100) spending money. At this stage I never told her I had a problem but that it was just easier for me if I didn’t have to worry about finances and she accepted this.

After some time had passed I started gambling again. Took out a credit card but thankfully only managed to rack up a very small debt.

Just last Thursday I came clean and told her I have been gambling after spending three days not being able to face her out of guilt.

Surprisingly she has been very accepting of my truth. I am feeling very ashamed and guilty. What makes things worse is how nice she’s being when I have broken this trust. I just can’t escape this guilt which has left me walking around for the past four days not being able to think straight, get out of bed and face the world.
    3 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi @Roys59,

Firstly, I want to acknowledge it takes a lot of courage to post your story for the first time on here, so well done! Thank you for sharing with us what's been going on for you. I'm really glad to hear your wife has been surprisingly very accepting. Also, congratulations on having implemented successful strategies to keep you from gambling, such as transferring your income to your wife. I'm really sorry to hear you're overwhelmed with the feelings of shame and guilt. It can be hard to shake them off, but they serve us no good at the end of the day.

I'd like to introduce you to some of the members of this community that have gone through similar experiences to yours @Damaged_Armour @Hollymonster @pamela @Anita44 @Paris196563* @Panda21 @Squeaky @JinxyWolf

I'm sure you'll find this is a very warm, welcoming and non-judgemental community, so please reach out at anytime. We're all here for you and to support each other. :);
    1 x
    Anita44

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:33 pm

Hi Roys59
    Welcome to this forum, it's was my first time here 2 month ago too.
    It's was such a nice feeling that your wife was supported you after you telling her the truth.
    I was the same as you before feeling guilty and shame but my wonderful partner very supported me, that make my determine of quitting are 100% strong.
    Cos I want to make my family proud of me and a better life for myself and to prove to everyone I can do it.
    First few week well be a bit hard for you so be kind to yourself and take each day at a time, after your first week gamble free than treat yourself something nice, than you slowly start appreciate gamble free life are different than before.
    We all here together we will win this addition.
    2 x
    Damaged_Armour

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:06 pm

Roys59 wrote:
    Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:38 am
    Good morning everyone,

I’ve never posted on a forum before so not sure if this will even work.

My story spans a long time unfortunately. When I met my wife I already had a serious problem so had told her that I would transfer my income (except $100) spending money. At this stage I never told her I had a problem but that it was just easier for me if I didn’t have to worry about finances and she accepted this.

After some time had passed I started gambling again. Took out a credit card but thankfully only managed to rack up a very small debt.

Just last Thursday I came clean and told her I have been gambling after spending three days not being able to face her out of guilt.

Surprisingly she has been very accepting of my truth. I am feeling very ashamed and guilty. What makes things worse is how nice she’s being when I have broken this trust. I just can’t escape this guilt which has left me walking around for the past four days not being able to think straight, get out of bed and face the world.
    Well done for coming clean. Proves you're determined to grab the bull by the horns. Takes big kahunes to throw yourself under the bus.
    Be warned there's no miracle cure, at your best you'll have the strength to say no to the urges, but when you're weak from stress or a few drinks that's when you really gotta dig deep...
    Anyhow, welcome to the forum.
    1 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    Printemps

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:39 pm

@Pokemon21 and @RSI-wrist welcome to the Gambling Help Online Forums!

This is a community of people who have their own experiences with gambling and recovery, or maybe are supporting a loved one who is struggling with gambling.

When you feel comfortable, you can share your story here. This is a judgement free space, everyone one is here for support!

:o
    0 x
    Paris196563*

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Hey @Roys59

I’m new like you, well actually I did come here a couple of years back so have also had some history. Good for you, it’s good to talk to your partner, hiding these things is never good, try not to beat yourself up, look forward not back. I haven’t had the urge at all since I stopped last week, early days but feeling strong!!! We can do this 👍
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”