Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Kkernot

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Fri May 14, 2021 10:23 pm

My gambling has got me into a lot of trouble & its like I’m soo stupid, I keep going back for more even though I know the damages it does. I just can’t stop.

From those more further along in their recovery, how do you make your mind remember to refer to these urge breakers etc. when you are in the moment / urge? That’s my biggest problem. I know I shouldn’t and I tell myself not to but it still happens.
    0 x
    Anita44

Sat May 15, 2021 6:17 am

Hi kkernot I was the same its you , I know pokies it's make to loose but I'm still going to play, so many time I try to quit but as soon as I got my money back up than I go back their again and I start bet bigger n bigger, even I win I will not stop playing, I play until I loose all back , than I start to hate myself been I know pokies it's not for me any more, that why I'm here too needed help I hope I can stop forever.
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat May 15, 2021 11:10 am

hi @Kkernot and @Anita44 ,

Thank you both for sharing what you're struggling with right now. It takes a lot of courage to be so open and vulnerable. I want to say that you're in no way stupid, gambling, especially things like pokies are designed to draw you back in every time, reaching out for help shows a lot of strength, so be proud of yourself for this first step. @Kkernot It might be useful carrying a list of your urge breakers with you so you can refer to it immediately. I've also responded to another post with some information about Urge Surfing, this might be useful for you.

I really want to recommend both of you to Gamblers Helpline. It's a free 24/7 gambling support line where you can speak to counsellors. It might be useful to give them a call when these feelings are becoming overwhelming. The number is 1800 858 858

Keep us updated on how you're both going
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun May 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Limadeltacharlie and @Nica!

This space is for sharing experiences with other people that have gone through similar situations, supporting each other and also providing useful information.

Please feel free to post an intro about you and don't hesitate to reach out if you need help or have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums.
    :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 am

Welcome to our newest members @User 5b238fe49840a, @Azza123, @Jayne1234, @Suparkra Jugadai and @Kople!

In the forums you'll find some useful information, as well as the support from others that have gone through similar experiences. Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves and don't hesitate to reach out if you need help or have any questions.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.
    0 x
    TheTiges

Tue May 18, 2021 9:27 am

Welcome @Jadeynpouesi ,

The forums are a space to share your experiences and journey through recovery! You'll find a lot of tips and tricks here for staying on track, and can find support from other members who have had similar experinces!

I look forward to hearing from you :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue May 18, 2021 4:36 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Buddha899 and @Bettorman!

In the forums you'll be able to connect with other people that have gone through similar situations, supporting each other and find some very useful information.

Please feel free to post an intro about you and don't hesitate to reach out if you need help or have any questions.

0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed May 19, 2021 9:57 am

Welcome to our newest members @SoniaJackson and @liveswell!

In this space you'll find some useful information, as well as the support of the community.

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

0 x
    AddictedIdiot

Fri May 21, 2021 7:31 pm

Hello,

My name is IdiotAddict and I'm a gambler.

I'll cut to the chase first. I have lost around $150,000 on gambling with trading the stock markets. That amount of money would not mean the same for everyone but to take it into perspective it took me around 12 years working in my job to save up that money. So just imagine working for 12 years and saving up your money only to lose it all on gambling.

I'm finding it very difficult to pick myself up again and start from scratch, I have little motivation to work but I have no choice because I have a family to take care of. The only reason I'm still going is for my family, I have no option to my selfish. The other reason why I'm still going is because I have hope but hope for the wrong reasons. I still have hope that I can slowly win the money back but at the back of my mind I know I can just lose more money and go deeper in debt.

I can't stop monitoring the markets and its hard to control the temptation to gamble again.

I'm hoping I can find members that have also gambled all their life savings and bounced their way up again. I would also like to chat with people that have gambled on trading to share experiences.

I would like to learn from others on how they got over their loses and to move away from the gambling habit. I'm trying some hobbies but it doesn't replace my gambling addiction.

I hope someday I would look back at this situation and laugh at it, and it scares me to death that that day will never come. I have been in pain with the loss for about 2-3 years now and I just feel stressed thinking about it everyday.

Thanks for your time reading this.

- IdiotAddict
    0 x
    TheTiges

Sat May 22, 2021 11:29 am

heya @AddictedIdiot ,

I just want to start off by saying welcome to the forum, taking the first step to reach out and acknowledge you have a problem is incredibly difficult, so good on you. It sounds like your gambling has had a massive impact in your life. It's really eye opening when you think of what has been lost, especially when you know how hard you've worked for it. It is really hard to get yourself going again, and the negative feelings can be really overwhelming. If you felt comfortable a really good option is reaching out to a counselling at Gamblers Helpline. They offer a free 24/7 telephone counselling services, and can help connect you in with other services in your area. The number is 1800 858 858.

There are loads of great threads with good information and encouraging stories from other members. Have you had chance to look through the sucess stories ? They are really encouraging.

Do other community members have some words or advice/encouragment @yep123 , @Anita44 , @Menz199 ?

Remember to be kind to yourself right now. It sounds like you do have determination to wok through this and are looking forward to future free from trading! Hopefully this will be a space where you'll be able to connect with others and find that support :);
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”