Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Printemps

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm

Welcome to @dk3939 !

In these forums you'll find a supportive, non-judgemental community of people who understand the ups and downs of recovery! This is a place to share support, advice and tips!

You might find it useful to check out the 100 Day Challenge Threads and the Success Stories Thread as a bit of inspiration to get you started! :o
    0 x
    A.D.L

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:12 am

Hey, New here!
    This is my first big step to fighting my biggest challenge yet, feels good to have somewhere to come and just read or post when gambling triggers.

I’ve started my 100 day challenge and have started reading through these forums for advice and help and also to see people’s story.

I’ve finally admitted This is bigger then me, so can’t wait for the help to beat this.

Cheers - day 2 let’s go
    2 x
    Printemps

Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:29 am

welcome to our new members @Dilly, @Jt2110 and @Watermelon

These forums are a place for you to share your journey with others who understand the recovery process! You might find it useful to start check out the 100 Day Challenge Threads or the Success Stories, just for a little bit of insight into how others are approach their goals!
    0 x
    Claire

Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:49 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a 47 year old female with a long standing history of gambling. I have tried many times to stop and self excluded from numerous bookmakers! I have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel lately trying to find any one who’ll let me sign up! Last week I was on such a high, I won 10k but this week it’s all gone back on plus more! Myself and my husband have recently got a nice amount of savings in the bank I just watched it go down and down until a voice on my head said STOP what are you doing you stupid girl!! So I did and I brought myself on here! I know I need help before I lose everything. I am every bookmakers dream client, an absolute MUG! They have no problem taking my $500 accumulators and horse bets! I used to do $100 bet but the thrill of the win with that amount just wasn’t enough so I would up it! I get so absorbed in the moment i can’t stop! I chase my loses and I am a nightmare!
    We were once in 40k debt much of it due to my gambling addiction! My husband is a retired veteran suffering with PTSD I also think he has Aspergers although undiagnosed, he just can’t deal with finances and money and I pay all the bills and he NEVER checks the bank account, I have lied and deceived him so long! I am embarrassed and ashamed of the person I have become! I am a mother of 2 wonderful children who deserve the world.
    We managed to pay all our debt off and came out the other side and even bought a house due to some compensation my husband received. Life is good for us we have a lovely home and money in the bank but I DO NOT TRUST MYSELF! I cannot see that money in my bank and not feel tempted to have a quick go! If my husband saw the bank statement he would be mortified and I don’t want to put extra stress on him!
    He knows about my gambling but doesn’t know the extent of it!! I know it’s best to be open and honest but I want to try and get on top of this without upsetting him!
    Enough is enough!
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am

Welcome to our newest members @jmccarthy22, @Mon Rose, @pompom, @Lesgo98, @mel1950, @Umbrella, @LJC123 and @Yesterday!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves, you might want to tell us a bit about yourselves, what brought you here or ask any questions you might have.
    Within this forums you can share and connect with other people going through similar experiences.
    If you're looking for specific information, you might want to check out the 100 Day Challenge and/or Success Stories on here.

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :);
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Moderator. Thanking you all for allowing me to be a part of your journeys and wishing you all the best! :);
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:21 pm

Claire wrote:
    Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:49 pm
    Hello everyone,

I am a 47 year old female with a long standing history of gambling. I have tried many times to stop and self excluded from numerous bookmakers! I have really been scraping the bottom of the barrel lately trying to find any one who’ll let me sign up! Last week I was on such a high, I won 10k but this week it’s all gone back on plus more! Myself and my husband have recently got a nice amount of savings in the bank I just watched it go down and down until a voice on my head said STOP what are you doing you stupid girl!! So I did and I brought myself on here! I know I need help before I lose everything. I am every bookmakers dream client, an absolute MUG! They have no problem taking my $500 accumulators and horse bets! I used to do $100 bet but the thrill of the win with that amount just wasn’t enough so I would up it! I get so absorbed in the moment i can’t stop! I chase my loses and I am a nightmare!
    We were once in 40k debt much of it due to my gambling addiction! My husband is a retired veteran suffering with PTSD I also think he has Aspergers although undiagnosed, he just can’t deal with finances and money and I pay all the bills and he NEVER checks the bank account, I have lied and deceived him so long! I am embarrassed and ashamed of the person I have become! I am a mother of 2 wonderful children who deserve the world.
    We managed to pay all our debt off and came out the other side and even bought a house due to some compensation my husband received. Life is good for us we have a lovely home and money in the bank but I DO NOT TRUST MYSELF! I cannot see that money in my bank and not feel tempted to have a quick go! If my husband saw the bank statement he would be mortified and I don’t want to put extra stress on him!
    He knows about my gambling but doesn’t know the extent of it!! I know it’s best to be open and honest but I want to try and get on top of this without upsetting him!
    Enough is enough!
    Hi Claire,
    Thank you for sharing your story with us. It's great that you've reached out for support as this can often be one of the hardest steps, so well done!
    I'm sorry to hear self-exclusion has not helped you to entirely avoid gambling. Sounds like you're very aware that seeing the money in your bank account is a trigger for you. It's great to hear your determination and that your family is a great motivator for you.
    It's not uncommon to feel embarrassed and ashamed, there's many other people here that will be able to relate to you feeling that way. There's also many other people here that find it hard to open up entirely about this with their partners/families. Hopefully you can connect with them here.
    I'll tag a few other members that might want to share their experience with you: @Anita44 @Squeaky @JinxyWolf @pamela @Damaged_Armour @Mona58 @Springhope17 @Jc @Paris196563*
    Have you considered taking the 100 Day Challenge?
    You might also want to have a look at some Change Strategies here and this post on Urges.
    Hope some of the above is helpful and please keep us posted on how you're travelling.
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Moderator. Thanking you all for allowing me to be a part of your journeys and wishing you all the best! :);
    JinxyWolf

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:35 pm

Hi Claire and welcome to the forum,

Congrats on having the courage to take the leap and ask for help.

All of us here can relate to the shame and embarrassment you are feeling right now, we all go through it. I wish I could say that the journey you are embarking on is an easy one but alas I can't. What I can tell you is that the journey is definitely worth all the ups and downs that come with it.

I myself have been Gamble free for over 4 years after being a gambler since I put my first coin in a pokie machine when I was 18. For 16 years I gambled away not only my money but my emotional wellbeing and relationships. I tried to quit many times but always found myself being slowing sucked back in. Luckily I found this place just in time, I was on the brink of disaster, then the awesome people on this forum and my email councellor saved my life, my soul and I will be forever grateful.

I know that at the moment it all seems impossible but there is light at the end of this tunnel. You're not alone in this, you have this forum, you have support via the other tools provided on this website. Use them, reach out, lean on those who have your back. It's not a sign of weakness to admit you need help, it is in fact a sign of strength. We all need help and it takes real courage to admit it.

Stay strong and be well.

JinxyWolf
    1 x
    Printemps

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:47 am

Welcometo @clairy74 and @bstoddart !

The forums are a place for you to share your journey and connect to others! Everyone here either has their own lived experience in recovery. You can write a little to introduce yourself here in this thread, maybe start with your hobbies, goals or what bought you to the forums today.

You might find it useful to check out the Success Stories and the 100 Day Challenge threads, just to get a little inspiration and to hear from others!
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:32 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Jet2021, @Anon2021, @Fox on the run and @CBT!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves or ask any questions you might have. The forums are a space to connect with other people going through similar experiences. There's very useful information around, you might want to check out the 100 Day Challenge or go through the Success Stories.

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:26 am

Welcome to our newest members @CARGO29, @Daniyal and @joeshirtcliffe!

Within this safe and non-judgemental space you can connect and share with other people with similar experiences.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourself, you might want to share if you have any hobbies or goals in joining in the forums we can support you with.

Looking forward to following your journeys. :);
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”