Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    krispy

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 pm

Hi I'm new here. I've long known I've had a problem having lost more money than i could've ever believed possible, but i now feel like i've gone further. I am on long term sick leave after open heart surgery, a condition that was at least in part caused from the stresses of gambling. How have i spent my recovery time? All too much of it has been spent gambling.

I've gambled for 30 years but for most of that time i had some level of control. I went to the races and when the last race was run I went home and moved on with the rest of life. Now the gambling options have changed and theres always another race or sports match just about to start. 24 hours a day there is an opportunity to win back losses or to play up wins. There now is no time to plan and research, just bet again and hope. Gambling then was part of a lifestyle that had a social component, and I miss that. Now gambling is everything.

I know its a long road, but a few years back i gave up smoking after 25 years and haven't weakened. Hopefully i cant repeat the success.
    1 x
    Speedo

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:03 am

New here 38 been gambling sence 19 finally stepping up and getting some help for this as have got wife and kids and sick and tried of putting them though this e.g. having no food in house ,behind in rent ,bills and every thing else that goes with it I want to get ahead in life but I'm holding back my family so I'm finally maning up
    1 x
    Damaged_Armour

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:23 am

Speedo wrote:
    Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:03 am
    New here 38 been gambling sence 19 finally stepping up and getting some help for this as have got wife and kids and sick and tried of putting them though this e.g. having no food in house ,behind in rent ,bills and every thing else that goes with it I want to get ahead in life but I'm holding back my family so I'm finally maning up
    Good choice @Speedo
    It all starts here mate.
    0 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    Lookin4Help

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 am

Well done on recognising that there is an issue, and asking for help. @krispy @Speedo

For me the hardest thing has been admitting that I have an issue, and facing the consequences of my actions.
    1 x
    pamela

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Gambling has so many things to answer for.
    There is still that stigma attached to it.
    Admitting a problem is a huge thing so be proud of that fact.
    It is an addiction but it can be beaten,with determination
    1 x
    User 600492a520a02

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 am

Good day

My name is Cheston and I am a compulsive gambler. For about 15 years I couldn’t really ever get control of my addiction and in 2018 I managed to stop completely for about a year with the help of attending GA. It all fell apart for me in 2020, started off small and then became uncontrollable again. I am completely powerless now. I am seeking help and support so that I can stop this again and hopefully be consistent with stopping. I feel terrible, I have been lying to close friends and family as well as myself. I can’t understand why I throw so much money at this terrible habit. I reached out to a friend yesterday as well, but I seriously need to work on my self control and terrible way of being completely irresponsible.

Regards
    Cheston
    1 x
    Damaged_Armour

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:17 pm

User 600492a520a02 wrote:
    Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 am
    Good day

My name is Cheston and I am a compulsive gambler. For about 15 years I couldn’t really ever get control of my addiction and in 2018 I managed to stop completely for about a year with the help of attending GA. It all fell apart for me in 2020, started off small and then became uncontrollable again. I am completely powerless now. I am seeking help and support so that I can stop this again and hopefully be consistent with stopping. I feel terrible, I have been lying to close friends and family as well as myself. I can’t understand why I throw so much money at this terrible habit. I reached out to a friend yesterday as well, but I seriously need to work on my self control and terrible way of being completely irresponsible.

Regards
    Cheston
    If you've done it once you can do it again. And the more you do it, the more you know where you went wrong the last time.
    Starting off small and allowing yourself the taste again of gambling is probably the biggest offender.
    0 x

pamela

Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:02 am

Hi and welcome Cheston
    We can't look back if we want to look ahead.Whats done is done and can't be changed,what can be changed is today..
    You have done it before so you can do his again
    Well done in confiding in your friend,use them to help you.
    Make each day count and tell yourself you won't gamble today
    1 x
    Spartan

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi, I’m a divorced 46yo father of 2 kids. 20 years of binge gambling has led me here. Gambling has dictated the last 20 years of my life and has cost me more than just a great deal of money. I’m ashamed and embarrassed and now realise that I’m mentally, emotionally and physically broken. Over the past 20 years I have tried everything that a recovering gambling addict can try to recover. All failed because I lack the willpower and mental strength to let my gambling go.
    This is why I’m here, to connect, read and learn about trying to be a better man by stopping gambling controlling me.
    2 x
    Damaged_Armour

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am

Spartan wrote:
    Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:11 pm
    Hi, I’m a divorced 46yo father of 2 kids. 20 years of binge gambling has led me here. Gambling has dictated the last 20 years of my life and has cost me more than just a great deal of money. I’m ashamed and embarrassed and now realise that I’m mentally, emotionally and physically broken. Over the past 20 years I have tried everything that a recovering gambling addict can try to recover. All failed because I lack the willpower and mental strength to let my gambling go.
    This is why I’m here, to connect, read and learn about trying to be a better man by stopping gambling controlling me.
    @Spartan
    It never to late. unfortunately we can't get in a time machine and take back the things we did, but we have a choice for the future.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”