Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    BrittV (facilitator)

New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 pm

For those making and maintaining change in their gambling, this is a great place to get started.
    This is a thread to introduce yourself.

Hit reply and introduce yourself to the community.
    You may not be ready to talk about gambling, and that's OK! You can always get started by letting us know
    • Something that interests you &
    • Something that motivates you.
    Or/and, if you're ready to share more about your story and support, perhaps when you're ready start a new topic. It can make it a little easier for others to support you and answer your questions :)
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    Jarrad g

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi I am a 38 year old father of 3, I have been gambling for about 15 years and it has really affected my life and family in a really negative way, it has attributed to depression and anxiety and i turned into a recluse but have finally accepted help and am ready to do whatever it takes for it to no longer be an issue in my life.
    11 x
    jax

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:17 am

Hi I am new to this site , but sofar really love the support and hopefully I'l be a success story in due course
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Welcome to the community @Jarrad g and @jax and thank you for introducing yourselves.

Jarrad it's really great to hear that you're feeling ready to change. It takes a lot of strength and courage, but coming here and beginning your journey already shows fantastic strength. Be kind to yourself, and seek support. You might find @JinxyWolf's recent post on how seeking help is a sign of strength encouraging.

Jax I'm sure you will be a success story - you're already on your way by joining up and posting.

I look forward to hearing updates on your journeys! One day at a time but this really is an understanding, non-judgemental communty of people who've been where you are now, so don't hesitate to seek support.

Take care, BrittV - comm mgr.
    1 x
    FrankieNEWY

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:32 am

Hey hey,

I’m a 23yr old student and have been gambling for just over a year now. I’ve put myself in debt, lost thousands, and I just can’t keep in the same cycle of struggling to pay my bills and eat over such lack of control of playing. So here I am, hopefully done for once and for all.
    5 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:32 am

Welcome @FrankieNEWY and thanks for your post!
    Great to hear that you're aware and ready to make change, do you have some strategies in place to protect yourself? Let us know id you'd like some ideas.

Looking forward to hearing how things are going for you.
    1 x
    Kayla71

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello. I'm new here. I've joined because I've gambled all my wages this week, plus money that I've borrowed from a friend. I am quite distraught and can't calm down. I have no food for myself, no petrol in my car and no one to ask for help. Somehow I've managed to buy food for my cat.
    I'm hoping to get some advice from people that have been in my shoes. What first steps should I take? How do I follow through with getting help? Every time I get some money to live on until next payday I convince myself that I'll stop, but I never do. I'm thinking that I have to be committed to my recovery every single day to change? I seem to forget about the bad times (there have been very bad times) when I get some money. How do I stay committed to change? I'm worried I'm going to end up homeless, almost there (behind in my rent). Apologies to anyone reading, I'm mainly just writing my thoughts, hopefully I'm making sense.
    Might go and sleep and hopefully calm down.
    2 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi @Kayla71

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to read that you are in a difficult situation. It may help to set up automatic deductions to pay for all your bills and just leave enough money for petrol and food and put up as many barriers as you can to stop access to cash and therefore make it as difficult as possible to gamble. The road to gambling free recovery will take time, it is important to patient and kind with yourself. Please take a moment to read other people's experiences here at the forum, there are many inspiring stories to learn from.

All the best and take care.
    dragon007
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 am

Welcome @Kayla71,

As well as what dragon007 mentioned, you might also find https://askizzy.org.au/ helpful - it's a search engine for thousands of services. If you're concerned about food and housing security at the moment you might find some services that can help you through this period.

Take care,

BrittV
    0 x
    User 5d6c87d1b1ebc

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi 😔

I’m a 36 year old female with a professional job, who used to play a lot of sport some of which was at a high level.
    I’ve been gambling for many years but since my sport stopped some 8 years ago it has gone to new levels
    I am heartbroken and embarrassed. I am out of control. I first looked at this website a few years ago but now it’s time and I’m posting. I need help and I want it.
    I have blown thousands on thousands of dollars over the years but this year alone I’d have to admit to it being something near $20,000 mark. I am in debt, though thankfully it’s not as bad as it could be as I have already had boundaries in place. But it is life limiting and my new wife deserves so much better than that. I deserve better than that.
    I’m here because enough is enough I need help and support. So here I am
    Thanks for listening
    3 x

Return to “Change Makers”