Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Day 4

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Tilney

Re: Day 4

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 pm

Still going strong, Pamela! Thanks for your words of encouragement, in ten minutes time I’ll be entering my tenth day of being Pokies Free!! It’s feels so good! 😄
    1 x
    pamela

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 am

10 days is excellent..you should be feeling really pleased..Keep resisting those urges and enjoy this feeling of freedom..break free of those chains and start living again
    2 x
    Tilney

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:01 am

Pamela, I slipped up . Feel awful that I’ve let it happen. I think I should start to attend some meetings or start going to church or something. I need something bigger than me to pull me out of it for good.

Day 1 has just begun.. 12:01 on Friday the 23rd. I have to quit, I have no other option
    1 x
    pamela

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:31 am

Dont dwell on it..learn from it and move on.What made you slip up? What was the urge? What did you gain from it?
    Start again and keep strong.Ask for help and maybe try counselling as most of us have underlying reasons as to why we gamble.
    Remember..no gambling today
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi @Tilney

Its common to have a slip up but whats important is to try again. No ones perfect, it takes time to make changes to our lives.

As @pamela asked what was the urge? What made you slip up? These are important questions because it gives you a further understanding/awareness and also prepares you for the next time an urge creeps up on you.

You can attend some counselling sessions with a gambling counsellor which can be really helpful. You can call the helpline on 1800 858 858 for some support and referral.

Keep going strong

Calvin.
    1 x
    Tilney

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. It’s been a real struggle.

I have this stupid idea in my head that I’m going to win it all back, so I’ve kept going. Every time I leave more and more disheartened and disappointed.. I know I have to fight the urges harder.

I wish I’d never won a grand jackpot, it would never have put the idea into my mind. I am such a hard worker at my day jobs and I work hard to make money and keep myself busy, though, lately with some spare time, I find myself continuing to enter and to continuing to lose. I’ve maxed out my credit card and I just know I can’t keep going.

It sounds ridiculous to say again but today is the final day! I’ve got to make that effort and really stick to it now. I have a clean slate, I have no money, the only way is up now surely.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi @Tilney

Its important to come to a form of acceptance that the money has been spent. When we gamble we get caught in that toxic and deceiving narrative and belief that we can win that money back but that is simply not the case. No amount of gambling will get that money back. Slowly slowly overtime you can get that money back by continuing to work because that is money that is guaranteed to you.

Keep track and remind yourself of those exhausting and unpleasant feelings you feel as a consequence to the gambling, because sometimes that can really stop us in our tracks when struggling with urges.
    It may take a few tries but that's okay. As long as you learn from the slip up and how to better prevent it next time an urge arises. :)

Take time to even look at the 100 day challenge app or even calling the helpline 1800 858 858. It can help to have that extra support along this journey.

Be patient and kind to yourself.

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”