Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • $600 in half an hour?

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Soros001

$600 in half an hour?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi, just joined today.

I started gambling a couple of years ago on the pokies. Just $20 here and there... at first.

So switch to the start of the year, I decided to increase my bet size for a couple of spins (you know where this is going) and the free games came up. I won about $700...

Now that was fine, I thought "I'll put this money in the bank." which I did at the time.

Skip to one week later and it's all gone from my bank account...

Since then I have been trying to relive that miraculous win. I've upped my bet to max bet on almost every spin now.

A couple of hours ago I went to the pub for "One beer." and whilst there I decided to put some money in the machines. I was hitting max spins, because I had a lot of money in my wallet, all my bills were payed, and I told myself "this is spending money.". So I just kept reaching into my wallet, $20, $50 at a time going through the machine. Then I looked in my wallet and it was all gone. There was $600 in there...

I mean I haven't skipped the rent, I'm not going to go hungry, I pay the bills in advance as auto payments... But it hurts. It hurts that something that started so small can turn into this nightmare.

So, after that happened I came here for advice. I watched some documentary on Youtube called "Ka' Ching poKie nation". It helped me a little to know that they do this on purpose. But I have always been one to struggle with addiction. 32 times I tried to quit smoking, took me 16 years to finally put the bong down (2 years clean). I'm worried that this is going to be the same problem all over again.

Now I'm broke, as I said I won't go hungry, the bills have been payed. But lately it seems like I'm just waiting for more money to put it through the machines.
    3 x
    Casper

Re: $600 in half an hour?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi 600 in half hour! I am glad to read I am not the only one today, that has lost large amounts of money in a short space of time! Just when I thought I had control wham.
    1 x
    Tilney

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm

This is a very common problem for me.

Three weeks ago I won the major.. 11 thousand dollars. I put it all in the bank.. guess what? There’s none left.. I max bet the whole lot away over less than a month on the Pokies

Tomorrow is day one for me
    0 x
    Soros001

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:20 am

So it is with much umming and ahhing that I took the ultimate step today. I went into the pub I frequent and banned myself from gambling. Got my form 3A right here. Banned myself until 17/7/24. A step in the right direction me thinks!
    4 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 pm

That's fantastic @Soros001! Congratulations on such a big step :)
    1 x
    pamela

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:01 am

Well done..I bet that was hard for you but that is a huge step in the right direction..keep moving forward and be proud of what you have done thus far
    0 x
    Soros001

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:29 am

It's pretty hard, thinking that I won't be able to gamble anymore. But one thing gets me through it. A fat wallet :) lol
    1 x
    Soros001

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 am

But seriously, I'm looking forward to being able to go out with friends, without having to worry if I can pay for my drinks/meal while I'm out. I'm also looking forward to being able to buy that game that's on special, the new shoes I want, or simply being able to buy a loaf of bread or bottle of milk when I run out between paychecks.
    2 x
    pamela

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 pm

You talk about the simple things.. I still feel happy when I pu petrol in my car when I can because I can..instead of not going somewhere to save petrol.to go to th shops and buy food knowing I can afford to..a cup of coffee..a haircut.the movies..life is good when you don't gamble..
    1 x
    Soros001

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:00 pm

So it's been half a month now without a single dollar being spent in the pokies or otherwise gambling. The addiction is disappearing. I can go to the pub now without thinking about gambling. I have a lot more money to spend on what I want to do now too. This is the second week since I've been payed and I still have money to spare. It's a good feeling. Thank you everyone here for the support :)
    3 x

Return to “Change Makers”