Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us tonight from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 1 of a new Life

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Milnert99

Day 1 of a new Life

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Today marks Day one of a new journey!

For too long have I let this struggle take over my life and now I feel its starting to ruin a part of me.

I have gambled on and off for almost 8 years now and I cant continue living like this, looking to rid my life of this curse and move on to better things!
    2 x
    Mona58

Re: Day 1 of a new Life

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 pm

Welcome to the forums, Milnert

It is very stressful the first few weeks. Making changes in everyday routines and keeping busy helps.

Read or write as much as you can in the forums everyday. this helps especially when urges hit... don't give in to them and they do pass.

It is all worth it in the end ... life is better gamble free.

All the best on your journey! Stay Strong!

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Andy

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Do it,

I’m 12 days GF and i have gambled for the last 17 years.

You just have to make sure you are ready to kick the habit. If you aren’t completely invested in quitting then it won’t happen. If you haven’t decided that you don’t want to gamble again, it won’t happen.

This is what I believe anyway.

I know I can’t gamble period. No flutter, no nothing. It’s a major trigger for me.

Andy
    1 x
    Realme

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi friend, I’ve also been gambling for the last 8 years & need to stop. I’ve really had enough of them (pokies). Time to make some changes - we can do this together!!
    0 x
    Icandoit

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:15 pm

I hope everyone struggling is successful. It doesn't work until it breaks you. It's broken me today, I've lost my life, my partner and our life savings. The world looks really dark to me. I don't know if I can beat it and I will try my best. To get back the love of my life I'll put effort into it. Gambling is a killer guys. PLease for GOd's sake don't gamble. If you haven't started DON"T start, If you gamble for fun DON"T do it and stop immediately, If you are like me GOD help us. I don't know what to say but I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel. Let's do it
    1 x
    Andy

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Icandoit wrote: I don't know if I can beat it and I will try my best.
    Your story is horrible and devastating and I wish your endeavours all the best in the future.

If I have any advice from your post.

You need to be more positive and honest with yourself if you really want to quit. You’ll need to be conscious every day, ride every emotion, throw every resource behind yourself to get your outcome. Nobody can do it for you, this has to come from you.

I know it could be raw right now and positivity could be at an all time low but it sounds like it’s worth the fight 🥊

Thanks,
    Andy
    2 x
    pamela

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am

Everything worthwhile in life is worth the effort..giving up gambling is worth the effort and it is an effort..but it is easier than the struggle we have when we gamble..be determined and take it one day at a time ..and stay determined
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”