Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Depression

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Koala787

Depression

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 am

Hi , I have a gambling problem and I don’t know what to do about it or where to start for help, I get paid every two weeks and spend every last dollar on gambling, I live with parents so I don’t have any bills to pay, every time I get paid it is like a switch is turned on and I need to gamble and I just can’t stop, and after I lose it all I spend each day wondering to myself why am I still alive
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Depression

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 am

Hello @Koala787

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on the Forums.

Good on you for reaching out, you'll find that many other people on the forums share similar experiences to yourself.
    Gambling can be difficult to handle on your own especially when we don't fully understand why we do it.

So now sounds like a good time for some reflection on the reasons why you gamble, asking yourself what are the benefits? what specifically urges you to gamble?
    Gaining a more thorough understanding of these urges can lead you into the next step of trying to tackle them.

You can look into some gambling counselling or self-exclusion to help you on this journey.
    Remember that the most powerful thing you have against gambling is the power of CHOICE. The choice on how to respond/react to an urge.
    We have racing thoughts everyday, but ultimately the most important is what action we choose to take.
    Try writing a list of positives and negative things about gambling to give yourself more perspective. Remind yourself of the consequences of gambling and engage in other activities you enjoy and find fulfilling.

You've taken a big step today!

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”