Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Just can't walk away

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Robinia

Just can't walk away

Thu May 23, 2019 8:06 am

Hi everyone

I can be up on the pokies but just can't seem to walk away. I end up putting it all back in plus extra. I tell myself each time - just walk away, but don't.

My gambling is at the point where I am having to pawn goods just to be able to afford the daily necessities.

Feeling hopeless with no-way out.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Just can't walk away

Thu May 23, 2019 11:53 am

Good morning @Robinia and welcome to the forums!

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on the GH forums.

Good on you for reaching out, it takes a lot of courage to do so and can be quite overwhelming to open up about a gambling issue.

It sounds like things have become quite stressful for you.
    Many people find themselves in this toxic cycle with pokies and gambling in general. It can be helpful to evaluate what the reasons are behind your gambling, what drives you to spend money on the pokies. What are the urges that come up for you?

Answering these questions really allows you to have a more deeper understanding of your motivations to gamble and therefore allows you to gain more awareness when the urges come up. Its a lot of easier to act on our impulses but this also causes more damage.

When gambling becomes an issue we often prioritize it over everything else in our life, such as responsibilities to pay bills, provide food for ourselves and even getting to the point of selling our own possessions, which can feel quite disheartening. Many other members have similar experiences to your own and it is possible to tackle the gambling habit.

Gamblers help provides Gambling counselling as well as financial counselling, which can also be of support to you at this time.

Kind regards,

Calvin.

Does anyone have any other words of advice and support for Robinia at this time ?
    2 x
    Mona58

Thu May 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Hello Robinia,

Welcome to the forums. Although it is often very quite there is a lot of support in reading other peoples posts and knowing that you are not alone.

l am now just over 19 months GF and it was really "hard" at the beginning. Making all sorts of "changes" to the way I would "normally" do things during gambling days. Changing the way I used to bank... always leaving one card at home... and only having a small enough amount to do my grocery shopping. Carrying only $20 in my purse ... walking a different way... shopping elsewhere. Buying better food and looking at new recipes... All these little changes Sound like "nothing" But they took quite a bit of energy!

I don't remember now exactly how long it took.-. l am still wary and don't have temptations or urges and I still come in daily to read posts because I think it helps keep me strong...

Changes have now become "normal". I still follow the same new structure of keep limited money in my spending card and never more than $20 in cash...

And I'm finding I'm able to sit quietly and enjoy this peacefullness that is quite "new'!!

There IS a way out Robinia-.. stay strong and have faith!

All the best on your journey to a gamble free life!

Mona
    3 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Robinia

Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words and responding. I am finding reading other posts on the forum comforting knowing I am not alone and the only one.
    3 x
    pamela

Fri May 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Good on you for recognising you have problem..we have all been caught in that moment when we know we need to walk away but cant..however..it can be done..the choice is yours and you can minimise the amount you spend by not taking money with you or like Mona said..only take $20..there are many things you can put in place .good luck
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:32 pm

How have things been going for you lately @Robinia ?
    0 x

Return to “The Courtyard”