Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • I am 16 and lost almost everything!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    fabiqn

I am 16 and lost almost everything!

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 pm

hello so yeah, you did read the title correct, I am 16 years old.

so for everyone reading my little story, please consider how much money this is for someone my age.

I work a lot compared to people at my school (most are unemployed). I am earning around $240 a week and have saved a nice amount of it so far. A few months back I decided to play some bitcoin gambling as you don't need ID to deposit and withdraw. I was up around $50 and like all problem gamblers, this kept me coming back. I ended up making something like $200 that week and I was crazy excited. Thinking I could keep doing this, I came back and lost that 200 + another 200 from pocket. I said I wouldn't play anymore but that went out the window and I came back the next week. Except this time I chased back that $200 and made about $700 in one night! about 3-4 weeks pay for me! I withdrew everything happy to recover and once again, I said that would be where I stopped because the feeling of loss is far worse than gain. anyway to make this story shorter, I lost that $700 and then won another $1.2k back the next week. so now, after losing everything twice in the space of a fortnight, I chased my loses once again, and luckily made it all back. I setup a locked account and put 1k in it for a few months and installed a bet blocker on my laptop.

long story short, the addict I am found a way around the bet blocker by using a vpn. I taught myself blackjack and because of this, I am here typing all of this out. I deposited $25 thinking it couldn't hurt. made it all the way up to $200 and I tried cashing out but the house wouldn't let me the fucking scammers. So I lost all that and deposited 50 on a new site with a live dealer. turned that 50 into $600 and set aside $400 for withdraw. Withdraws take 24 hours and don't immediately come out of your balance. So I played hands far too bigger than I can afford and ended up losing that $600 (so the withdraw didn't go through) plus I deposited about $50 10 different times saying to myself "last one" thinking I can recover. I was wrong. that was 4 weeks ago. now each week I lost more and more and keep saying im going to quit but end up lasting only 2-3 days.

I have these 3 setup to stop me from playing
    -locked account
    -percentage of pay in parents account each week
    -gam ban (all devices not just laptop)
    -journal for each day expressing my feelings of gambling at the time.

I absolutely hate gambling! the main reason I do it is to gain more money which logical, is a **** idea. can't stand the anxiety I get of playing

one good thing I can get out of this is the lesson I have learnt about gambling. sure 1.5k is nothing for you guys but that's about 14% of my years pay :(
    the depression is strong on this one. congrats to anyone who read this. know when to stop don't go over the top :(
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: I am 16 and lost almost everything!

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Hello @fabiqn

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators, here on GH online.

Good on you for reaching out for some support and thankyou very much for sharing your struggles with gambling, it takes a lot of courage to do so.

Try to figure out what your triggers are and also the times that these triggers come about. Could you try substituting gambling for something else you'd find more joy out of?

I think you'll find this online space to be quite supportive. Take the time to read other member's posts as they may have similar experiences and you can also receive some great advice and tips from others.

Kind regards,

Calvin
    1 x
    pamela

Re: I am 16 and lost almost everything!

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 am

Hello and welcome..unfortunately it's those few wins that keep us coming back for more..you have learnt how easy it is to lose big sums of money but luckily you are still very young and can stop this before it becomes a nasty habit. You have put plans into place which is a great start ..be strong and come here for support
    3 x

Return to “The Courtyard”