Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Managing sports betting urges

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    BrittV (facilitator)

Managing sports betting urges

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:01 pm

Sports betting continues to grow as a gambling-related problem in Australia, especially with how easy it has become to bet on our mobiles.
    Something we often see come up here in the community is that many associate it with entertainment, and may not realise they’ve developed a problem before it’s too late.

However, the 2017 Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) found that almost half of monthly sports betters experience some level of harm, and that of problem gamblers, individuals are spending more on betting than any other activity. We also often hear that people working to control their gambling can feel confused, helpless or isolated.

Coming into this sporting season, we thought we could start the discussion of experiences and tips, and just a place to connect with others who understand your struggle.

What have your experiences with sports betting been?
    What are the things you find most challenging about managing or stopping this?
    What are some strategies that you’ve tried, want to try, or have worked for you?

Sometimes just knowing others are facing the same struggle as you can be really helpful. If you are concerned about your betting but don’t have anything to comment, like this post to show others you relate.
    2 x
    Jc

Re: Managing sports betting urges

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 pm

What are the things you find most challenging about managing or stopping this?

- The fact that I love sports. In my pre gambling day, I could just watch a match and that was all. Now sports have become numbers, totals and point spreads. Every time I watch a match, I always have to know the odds (channel nine and fox sports always display the odds on TV anyway).
    - Sport used to be recreational, now it’s tangled with something really sinister. It’s to the point where I don’t even know if I like sports because I like to gamble, or do I like to gamble because I like sports. I have no idea anymore. I mean I used to bet on AFL even though ive never watched a game in my life.
    - ADS ARE EVERYWHERE. How this is legal is beyond me.
    - Sports betting gives you the illusion of control. It’s not like pokies where your luck is set by a computer. You can look at stats, trends, injuries, team lists that you think will give you an ‘edge’ over the bookmakers. But what I’ve found is that knowing about sports doesn’t give you any advantage.

What are some strategies that you’ve tried, want to try, or have worked for you?

- The best thing I can say is to avoid watching sports because that triggers me. Or at least limit sports consumption considerably for the foreseeable future.
    - Do your best to not know the odds. Knowing the odds is more likely going to entice you to gamble because sometimes ‘those odds are too good to be true’. Or ‘wow those odds are good value’ etc.
    - Stemming from the last point - DO NOT CHECK BETTING WEBSITES. I used to check these sites like Facebook. Every morning check the NBA/NHL/MLB odds. That will always trigger me to bet.
    - Don’t talk about gambling (especially winning) with others.
    - DONT LOOK AT LIVE SCORES.

That’s all I have for now
    1 x
    JAPAZ

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Remind one's self (before experiencing the heavy losses) that there is no money to be made. It appears to be so easy to make money in sports betting. But nothing ever goes to plan. If it was so easy to make money, gambling agencies/bookmakers would not exist. Realise the house always wins, and even if there are promotional markets available, they still factor in a house edge, or are only offered to you to get you hooked, because the bookmakers know you will lose heavily overall anyway.

In theory, most sporting matches should be very predictable. It just does not go to plan. The odds are designed in such a way that even if you consistently back the favourite or consistently back the outsider, you still lose. Even if you mix it up, you will still lose!
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Really amazing posts @Jc and @JAPAZ!
    Thank you for your being so open about your struggles.

I agree with you JC about advertising. It can be really difficult to get away from them.

I'm sure it helps others just to know there are others out there facing the same struggles. Looking forward to hearing what others recommend as well
    2 x
    JAPAZ

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you too. I think we just have to constantly remind ourselves how dangerous gambling really is. It really is not as easy as it looks, and our optimistic and or risk taking natures down play the bad side or we illogically assume 'we are too far in so might as well risk it and hope for the best'.

I've seen way too many 'hard luck' stories in sports betting of how close people got to making thousands of dollars. But the terminology 'bad luck' or 'not my day' or 'I am so close,' just justify us having another go and losing again next time.
    3 x

Return to “The Courtyard”