Welcome to our online peer support community!
This is a place for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience & friends and family.

• Share your experience & strategies.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join the discussion today!
  • First step towards healing.

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Drav1234

First step towards healing.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Howdy,

So, I've finally decided to admit to myself I have a gambling issue - so depressed. Last night was the final straw, having that gut sinking feeling leaving a venue, empty pockets, no wins, exhausted, half drunk. I lost $2500 on one pokie machine last night, $1700 on a previous weekend gambling binge and feel that if I continue on this path of self destruction it will lead me to much darker places beyond the depression I'm already feeling. This is self inflicted, I have no one to blame but myself. I still remember the seed that was planted, about 3 years ago... I never ever touched these things before this! I was at a pub with a mate and we decided to put in $50 each, we hit the free feature and bingo, $900 richer, I was elated, my whole night out was paid for! I tried to replicate this many times, some wins, some losses but it stayed relatively cheap as I would only spend about $200 or $300 max.

Recently I started to play big and all night and it's impacting my social life and my bank balance has dwindled significantly. I'm not in debt thankfully and have a fair amount of savings left and a good job but I know if I don't curb this problem now it'll all be gone for good. One of the precursors to this habit is drinking, when sober I don't go near them, can easily walk past them, different story after a few whiskeys. I have thought about moving my money into an untouchable account which I can still pay bills from and transfer across $150 to a card I can use to pay for lunch, bit of cash etc etc. If I only have access to a small amount of cash when going out drinking I know I can't withdraw a sneaky $500 and can only stick to a few drinks and a meal. I'm hoping I can make it to 365 days without gambling, that would be a great milestone for me to achieve. Day 1 begins (F%#k the pokies) :)
    3 x
    pamela

Re: First step towards healing.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Drav1234..and welcome..well done on recognising you have a problem and need to stop..you have thought about steps to take and that's really important..most pubs and clubs have pokies but there are some that don't so maybe drink at those then you won't be tempted to play
    Good luck
    2 x
    Drav1234

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for your reply. :) This is true, but as I mainly drink socially in the cbd it's to easy and tempting to walk next door or up the street to find a venue with vip rooms. I'm contemplating going sober for 6mths at this point.
    2 x
    FamilyFirst

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi @Drav1234 ,
    Welcome to the forum.

Gambling and drinking used to go hand in hand for me too... As soon as I was legally able to, I was in the pubs wasting my life away half drunk and feeding note after note in until I was broke. A useless,vicious cycle that continued on for 17 years.... :(

Its great you have recognised you have a problem and want to quit gambling. By the sounds of things ie. good job and no debt you may just be able to walk away from your 3 year addiction with not much 'baggage' Some here on the forum have lost everything and then some.. I almost lost my partner and two kids, which was enough for me to call it quits.

I first admitted I had a problem about 4 or 5 years into my addiction, I went to one GA meeting and was back playing pokies a few days later. Then I stopped for 6 months in 2014 and slowly I got worse and worse again until I was doing the 2k in a machine thing you mentioned.

They are horrible things the pokies and if you haven't seen it yet I recommend downloading a documentary called 'KA-CHING pokie nation' its an Aussie one by the ABC I think.?

Sorry for ranting on, wishing you all the strength for trying to overcome this sad addiction. One day at a time.

Cheers, Lee
    2 x
    Drav1234

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi Lee,

Thank you for the kind words and sharing your story. I'm going to book into a psychologist too as I have read there are 12 free visits per year we can claim. I hope that reaching out I have managed to catch this dreadful problem in time before I lose everything, as I have read some stories on here and it frightens and saddens me to the core that some unfortunate people have lost everything to these rigged pieces of ****. Tbh I probably would have kept playing last time if I hadn't reached my ATM withdrawal limit - in hindsight, absolutely disgusting behaviour. 100 days challenge then onto 365 day!
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Hey @Drav1234 ,

You will find a lot of support here, we all have our stories and we all have experiences in common with everyone here.
    Sounds familiar all you wrote. Except thankfully I'm not a big drinker. Drink to get tipsy/drunk maybe 2 times a year on a night out, apart from that don't touch alcohol.

I was also like that betting big. It disgusts me even thinking about it.

You already have your answer though. Give up the grog. Easier said than done though right?
    The fact that you don't go near them or even think about them when not drinking means you gotta give up drinking.

How often do you drink? Is drinking a problem for you or is it just social?
    On a positive it is good that you only get the urge to play when drinking, as opposed to those of us who play without being under the influence.
    Or if you do have a drink here and there, dont drink alone, but dont drink with mates that play themselves. Or perhaps only take a small amount of cash enough for drinks.

All the best anyway, you can do it.
    2 x

Return to “The Courtyard”