Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My wife has so much gambling debt !!!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Bill

My wife has so much gambling debt !!!

Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi my name is bill and I'm 64 years old. My wife has accumulated a lot of debt on multiple credit cards and loans through gambling on pokies. All of the debt is in her name but recently she has reduced her working hours and stays out all night (she is 63) and refuses to make payments off her debts/cards. She wants a divorce because she wants to live alone and have a "good time". We will have to sell the house to make a property settlement. I am refusing to pay her gambling debts. Can I be held responsible for her debts?
    0 x
    BriM

RE: My wife has so much gambling debt !!!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry to hear about the position that you're in. It's a horrible situation but there are a number of ways you access support, in terms of protecting your assets and avoiding inheriting her gambling debt. A financial counsellor can best help you sort this out; there will be free services in your area. As a first port of call, why don't you call the financial counselling free helpline on 1800 007 007? It operates from 9am-4.30pm Monday to Friday. In the meantime there's a link to some information on our website at http://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/ac ... unselling/

And Bill, understanding this sort of thing can take a huge toll on you emotionally too, you might actually like to speak to one of our Gambling Helpline counsellors. You can get us at any time of day on 1800 858 858 and again, it's a free call from landlines. There's also some information about looking after your own wellbeing here: http://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/co ... -yourself/

Take care of yourself. And remember we're always here if you need some support.

Bri (moderator)
    0 x
    Bull

RE: My wife has so much gambling debt !!!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Bill.

As someone who has fought debt myself I can sort of see where you're coming from. I am a strong believer that if your partner is in trouble then you are almost duty bound to help. How you do so is up to you. I think if you just "buy her out of trouble" then it's not really treating the cause so to speak. Maybe make a deal with her and say you'll only pay off the debt if she seeks help? I guess the trick is to do it in a nice way so she understands.

You know your wife better than anyone though...
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”