Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Giving money to someone to manage

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    ANONFLOWER

Giving money to someone to manage

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Please help me.
    Iw ant someone ti manage my money
    how di do this
    what do i tell them
    this is so so embarressing

his more thana friend
    2 x
    Mona58

Re: Giving money to someone to manage

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

perhaps you could ring Gambling helpline 1800 858 858 -- they will be able to help with advice.

Stay Strong and all best
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:34 pm

hello @ANONFLOWER ,

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators.

If you have someone close to you that you trust and you come to a mutual agreement with them about managing your money, then that could be useful.
    Otherwise you can also seek help from a Financial counsellor
    1 x
    ANONFLOWER

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:31 am

hi! pay day today ...
    1 x
    pamela

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 am

This is a trigger for many of us..try to resist any urges you have ..think about other uses for your pay..stay strong
    3 x
    TimTam

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi @ANONFLOWER

Can you give your finances to a trusted person when you get paid?
    That way if you get an urge, you don't have money to gamble with.
    Alternatively, you could have all your bills paid electronically, set up a bank account that requires 2 signatures before cash can be withdrawn, buy a coles/myer gift card straight away to use for your shopping (these cannot be used at gambling venues and you cannot get the money off them).

Hope you find something useful!
    3 x
    unitjohnson

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:15 pm

I have done this. My mother helps me manage my money, and she has $2000 saved for me at the moment. It has helped a bit, but it isn't foolproof. Because if I'm bad and spend all my spare money that I kept for myself, I have asked her for some back. She gets mad, gives me the 3rd degree, but always gives some back, because after all it is my money and what is she going to do? Not give me money that I NEED to live day to day? She can't. Even though it's my fault I still gamble, but I'm prone to just gamble less if she has more of my money saved. I've found that, in the long run, the ONLY way you can help yourself fully, is to do it yourself and be responsible for your own money and teach yourself restraint. If you can do that, you won't NEED to give money to someone to manage, you won't need to limit cash amounts you have somehow, or any other tricks. Because there's always ways to get around the tricks you THINK keep you away from gambling. To truly stop it, you have to be strong, and do it yourself EVEN IF you have thousands of cash in your wallet. You can teach yourself to be strong and that will be all you need to help you in the long run.
    2 x
    JAPAZ

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:51 am

Just thinking out loud...

Let your pay go to a bank account that doesn't have a card attached to it. Let the bills all come out that same day.

Transfer what you need to live off (from that account) to a second bank account that you can use for groceries etc.

It can be frustrating when your money is 'in thin air' between two bank accounts. But it certainly beats spending it.
    2 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 pm

@unitjohnson
    Yes totally agree you need to be able to do it yourself and ultimately it's only you that can stop. But I 100% believe that in the early stages of trying to quit you definitely need someone to manage money, it's too hard otherwise.

In the long run yes we have to be resposible for ourselves and be strong, but short term is a different story.
    My only real advice on here now to people trying to quit is hand over control of money.
    1 x

Return to “The Courtyard”