Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Our community's strategies for taking control of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    clearthatmind

Re: Our community's strategies for taking control of gambling!

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:45 pm

These are all helpful ways to controlling our gambling urges and they do work, however, in my experience it is absolutely vital that we nip those desiring thoughts in the bud before they take root...James 1:14,15. This is a strategy in itself and a very important one. With me, if I dwell on those thoughts over a period of time it is just inevitable that I will punt. Please, deal with these thoughts straightaway, my friends. Use self-talk, acknowledge them and have some sort of response. Otherwise, in my experience, it doesn't matter what you do other times, you will crash. We just have to deal with those thoughts and I know, they are bloody insidious. But we can beat them, and we can make it a practice to do so. This will become part of us and we will prevail. All the best with all our lives
    1 x
    Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight...Proverbs 3:5, 6
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm thinking it's time for an update on this list!

Who's got some other strategies to share to help make change in our gambling?
    @LOSER1973 I know you mentioned something about a cashless bank card?
    0 x
    pamela

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:35 am

I recommend bank accounts that don't have cards connected to them..makes it harder to get money ..buy vouchers when you get paid ..so you can buy necessities but don't have access to money
    1 x
    Mona58

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:48 pm

At the beginning we NEED to make CHANGES to everyday / weekly routine. Drive or walk a different route. Like totally unravel your daily habits so as you are aware of what you are doing. This will help stop you thinking about gambling even to think "I'm not gambling anymore" is thinking about it. It is hard and often daunting but it does not take all that long before time had gone by. It takes much stress to constantly ''refocus" on what you are doing and in short period of time it becomes habit. There's good stress in the battle towards gamble free living!

Mona.
    3 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    LOSER1973

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:11 pm

BrittV (facilitator) wrote:
    Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:04 pm
    I'm thinking it's time for an update on this list!

Who's got some other strategies to share to help make change in our gambling?
    @LOSER1973 I know you mentioned something about a cashless bank card?
    Hi Britt, the banks are making it very difficult now as they encourage ATM transactions and want you to spend your money. Now with phone app's and cardless cash they make it even more difficult as "cardless cash" isn't a feature that can be removed. Cardless cash is where you don't need a bankcard to withdraw money and simply use your phone to withdraw from a ATM. SO WHAT'S THE SOLUTION? Open up a bank account online from "CITIBANK" they have gone cashless! They do not have this cardless cash feature, when your wage gets put into your account transfer it over to your "citibank" account and cut up your bankcard so you cannot access it. Use this account to pay all your bills like utility's etc leave enough money in a account which you have access to for grocery's and if you still don't trust yourself buy a Coles or Woolworths voucher to buy groceries with. :)

[/mention]

[/mention]

[/mention]
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”