Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Our community's strategies for taking control of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Damaged_Armour

Re: Our community's strategies for taking control of gambling!

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:58 pm

If you're looking for tried and tested methods, read on...
    I've been battling this horrible beast (pokies) for almost 25 years, with periods of inactivity due to success of some methods...Alcohol dosnt help your state of mind and can cause you to trigger.
    * First and most obvious is see a councillor and get yourself excluded from the venues you frequent ie the ones near your house, on the way to and from work, around the train station.
    * Don't carry a key card. You don't need it. Period. Carry a bit of cash - keep reading...
    * A game changer for me was opening a joint account with my partner, I had the mentality that it was "my" money, doing this helped limit the amount I gambled/lied about.
    * Unfortunately this one dosnt work any more, but for the last one and a half years I havnt known the pin to my credit card, it only became apparent to me a couple of months ago I could manage the pin through my banking app, which is has cost my about $6000, until today where I accepted I didn't have to strength to do this on my own, and here it is, my secret weapon, which I have turned to before...
    * The Australia post prepaid credit card. It costs $7.95. It's a single use card which can be loaded with up to $500 in credit, it has a pin (which I recorded else where and scratched off the back). It can only be used for purchases. So no need to carry a key card, I've got $40 cash and one of these in my wallet. If your very weak chop your cards up or give them to a relative or friend.
    If there's one thing I know for sure, the battle is on going, qaurter century later and I'm a little wiser, but still can't help myself.
    Please message me if you want to know any of the finer points or details.
    1 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    Dockers6 (facilitator)

Re: Our community's strategies for taking control of gambling!

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Thank You for sharing your experiences Damaged_Armour . I can envisage this will be extremely helpful for people looking for answers, and counter attack against the gambling cycle. A form of method to move forward.

Dockers6
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”