Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Two years and counting..

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    FamilyFirst

Two years and counting..

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

Time flies when your having fun and today marks my 2 year anniversary of being gamble free. :cool:

I could have sworn that it was tomorrow but upon reading my old posts I've realized that it is in fact today!!

I've got a special night planned tomorrow and a few treats too, so not to worry ;);

Life certainly takes over once you remove something like compulsive gambling out of the mix. I've never been happier, I truly am. I can't believe how much of a fool I was in those dark days. Hopelessly addicted and not being able to see past the fog that this addiction causes.

Sure, i knew I was a problem gambler but I never sought to change. I'd get down on myself after another pay packet wasted and swear to change only to be back in the venue next payday doing the same thing again.

Towards the end of my 17 year spiral I'd budgeted my money a bit better, as i had my family to feed, clothe and house. But i would still have massive losses. I'd miss weeks of rent and always play catch up. Then I'd stay away from pokies for a few weeks only to have a binge and be back in debt and feeling that horrible feeling when you realise you have no money for food and petrol, and that bill that you forgot about...

I'm so grateful for my loving partner who helped me be the man I need to be. Through all this crap, she has stood tall and guided me along my recovery road. When she could have very well walked out on me. I'm glad she didn't as I'd hate to think where I might be now if she did.

I found great support here on this forum and was very fortunate to have a big group of members constantly encouraging each other in my first few months. Its a great feeling knowing there are others that are going through all the same experience's and all willing each other on day by day.

Thanks to everyone.

Cheers, Lee
    730 Days Gamble Free!! :o
    5 x
    kaizen

Re: Two years and counting..

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 am

Great to read a story like that. I'm sure it will keep many of us motivated. Very well done and I look forward to being two years gamble free..... in 21 months time!
    3 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 am

Congratulations Lee,

That's absolutely incredible, congratulations and it's amazing to hear your reflections, thank you for sharing them!

Enjoy your celebrations tonight :)
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:05 am

Congratulations Lee!!!

Your hard work has paid off.

Amazing work! Keep it up! :)
    2 x

Return to “The Courtyard”